Chapter 1: Mission

"Nothing to do..." Lucy whined.

She was sitting at the a table in the middle of the cafe part of the guild, resting her head in her hands. Next to her was her Etoile Fleuve, and her spirit keys.

Mira walked up to her. "Why don't you go on a mission with Natsu?" She was rubbing a cup clean, staring at Lucy intently.

"I would, but I don't know where he is," Lucy grumbled.

Mira giggled. "Why your waiting, you can go ahead and pick one out."

Lucy lifted her head, and smiled. "Yeah, that's a good idea. Thanks Mira."

Mira smiled, and Lucy walked over to the board.

"Let's see..." Lucy leaned towards the board. "Giant rats?"  A bubble came above her head, and it was of a giant rat chasing her around the city.  A sweat drop appeared on her head. "No way am I doing that one." She took another look. "Hmm... Mysterious entity... 1,000 jewel..." She thought for a moment. "Well, It sounds okay, but it doesn't pay enough for rent." Lucy sighed, and skimmed the board. Then one certain one caught her eye.

It was new, Lucy noticed, by pulling back the paper and not seeing any dust marks. Most of the other ones had dust marks, so this meant this one was still pretty new. Another thing that caught her eye was the mysterious picture of a staff. It's top half looked like a sword, but the handle had strange engravings written down it. The description said:

Fire Light staff acting on it's own accord; injuring or even killing people around it at random moments.

We need someone to dispatch it, or, at the very least, calm it down and find out why it is acting up.

Specific people wanted:

-Natsu Dragneel

-Lucy Heartfilia

"Wow. That's wierd..." Lucy murmured, walking over to a working Mira. "Mira, have you seen this?" Lucy held the paper out to Mira. "Why hasn't anyone told us they are specifically looking for us two?" She asked Mira as she read it.

Mira frowned. "That's because it came in early this morning,"

"Should we do it? I mean, it could mean trouble." Lucy muttered, staring at the crumbled paper intently.

Mira thought for a moment. "It being mysterious is a good reason to go investigate." She replied. "And besides, if it is a trap, I'm sure it's nothing you and Natsu can't handle."

Surprised, Lucy looked up at Mira to see her smiling reassuringly.

"Alright. I'll show Natsu whenever he comes back." Lucy said quietly.  Walking back the table she previously occupied, she sat and kept examining the mission, looking for anything dangerous.

"Oi! What was that for you fire hazard?" A voice yelled.

Lucy turned her head to see a newly arrived Natsu and a half-naked Gray neck and neck. Happy was hovering nearby.

"I'm not the one who walked straight into me, you popsicle!" Natsu yelled, pushing at Gray.

"Well, obviously!" Gray pushed back. "You can't bump into yourself! It's not possible if there is only one of you!"

"You know that not what I meant!" Natsu growled, lunging after Gray.

Watching Natsu and Gray pick up dust in their quarrel, Lucy sighed. "They'll never learn..."

"That's enough!" Erza yelled.

Gray and Natsu froze, releasing each other. "Y-Yes ma'am!"

Erza hmphed and went back to eating her strawberry cake.

Lucy stood and walked over to Natsu. "Hey Natsu, can I talk to you for a second?" She whispered in his ear.

"Oh.. Yeah, sure Lucy." Natsu replied, following her curiously, with Happy close behind.

Outside the guild, Lucy showed him the paper.

"Look, it say it's specifically asking for us." Lucy pointed down to the bottom.

"Hey you're right!" Natsu narrowed his eyes at it. "What would they want you and me for?"

"That's the thing. I haven't been able to figure it out just yet." Lucy bit her lip in thought. "Do you think it means that it's a trap, or.."

"Well, whatever it is, lets do it!" Natsu exclaimed, pumping a fist excitedly.

"Aye!" Happy raised a hand with him.

"You sure?" Lucy asked, grabbing the paper from Natsu's hand.

Natsu nodded. "Yeah, why not? It's worth a lot of money, and it'll be a peice of cake! Right Happy?"

"Aye sir!" Happy raised his fist in the air.

Lucy laughed. "Alright, if you say so. Should we leave now or tomorrow?"

"I don't wanna wait, let's go now!" Natsu chanted, making a funny face.

"Aye!" Happy cheered.

Lucy shook her head. "We still have some daylight left, so we'll leave tonight. Sound okay?"

"Aye!" Natsu and Happy exclaimed in unision.

"What about leaving tonight?"

Natsu looked over his shoulder, and Lucy looked over him. "Erza! Gray!"

"Lucy, Happy and I are leaving on a mission tonight!" Natsu pumped his fists in the air determidly.

"What kind of mission?" Gray asked.

"Here." Lucy handed him the paper containing the mission written on it.

Erza read over Gray's shoulder. "A mission specified for you two?" Erza quoted, surprised.

"Strange huh? I get why they'd ask Natsu, but why me? I mean... I'm not as strong as you Erza, or Gray." Lucy rubbed the back of her head, a sweat drop appearing.

"Don't leave yourself out, Lucy!" Natsu exclaimed, resting a hand on her head a little too hard. "You're plently strong already!"

With a painful tear from Natsu's pats on her head, Lucy smiled. "Thanks Natsu."

"We will accompany you." Erza replied quickly, her lugage appearing out of nowhere.

"Yeah, I ain't gonna let you get all the money Natsu!" Gray sneered.

"What's that supposed to mean, snowman?" Natsu replied, pressing his forehead against Gray's angrily.

Gray smirked. "I'm sayin that you are so stupid you don't even deserve a little bit of this money, flame brain."

Natsu and Gray growled at each other, and Lucy sighed.