Ch34 - Contact

That same night, she woke up in the earliest hours of the morning, with tears of sorrowIt was Sephiroth’s voice into her mind that told her how she’d failed to keep that promise. She’d promised she’d never leave his side, but her actions broke that promise. She didn’t leave willingly, though. She never would. But Hojo’s clutches dragged her into his labs where all she ever knew was pain and helplessness. But what Sephiroth had become it was her fault. She couldn’t say she didn’t agree when his voice came into her mind.

“You’ve broken your promise! You left me! And look what I have become…”

It made her realize that she was no different than Lucrecia. She didn’t think of that boy as much as she should. If she wasn’t so wrapped up into protecting her work. Her discoveries. If she wasn’t so weak back in the day… Jocasta gritted her teeth as she made her way to the kitchen of the Highwind in the middle of the night.

The cold night breeze that came from the Highwind’s windows brushed her wet cheeks. She’d immensely cried again against her mattress till her body was trembling and her eyes felt empty. She didn’t care to wipe them. Not when everything was dark and everyone was asleep, and she was practically alone. Her attention was focused on these voices in her mind and one of them was Sephiroth’s repeating these words.

“You failed me,”

And she knew it. She knew she’d failed him. She’d failed him just like everyone else had. Everyone else that was supposed to love him, had failed him in the worst possible ways. And she was one of those people and she hated herself for that. She hadn’t told her full story on the team. That one part that involved Sephiroth. And she wasn’t sure she was going to tell them. Not when most of them were wronged by him.

She hadn’t sneaked into Vincent’s bed that night and he hadn’t come to her either. Sometimes he dreamt of Lucrecia, apparently, and these were dreams he didn’t want to cease watching. Or that’s all that Jocasta guessed when she entered the dark kitchen. The lights were out and she let them that way. But they did confirm her assumptions that no one else was awake, except her.

Jocasta reached for the shelves. She grabbed a glass and proceeded to fill it with water. She turned around, pressing her hips against the counter as she drew in a deep sip and she sighed. Her eyes slipped around the small kitchen and her eyes widened when she saw Vincent sitting on one of the chairs by the table. She hadn’t even noticed he was there. The dark colors of his attire helped him blend in the dark thoroughly. He had his clawed hand around his own glass of water that rested on the table in front of him.

“Can’t sleep?” he asked. His gaze remained focused on a random spot in the kitchen, staring blankly like he always did.

“Surprise?” she asked taking a sip from her water.

“No,”

“You?”

He pursed his lips “I heard footsteps,”

Jocasta sighed as she placed her half-empty glass back in the sink. Of course, he would. His room was next door, whereas the only rooms around them were Tifa’s and Cloud’s, and the rest were spread into another corridor.

“Sorry I woke you,”

“I wasn’t sleeping,”