Ch30 - Escape

Jocasta couldn't see how she should be calm, when they were being taken in their very own execution, with their hands tied and a bunch of SOLDIER infantrymen watching their every move. Barret looked alarmingly calm and made her only wonder if he was high on an incredibly huge dosage of Mako, or something.

She could tell Tifa was thinking the same. The girl was tense. Heidegger had let them know they were going to stream live their executions on the TV, and Barret hadn't filled them in with his amazing plan of escape yet.

The SOLDIER infantrymen dragged the three over a hall that was filled with other people with cameras, more SOLDIER infantrymen, and of course, Scarlet. She stood proud in her crimson dress, giving orders and shouting at the poor crew. Once her attention fell on the trio, she let out a laugh.

"The AVALANCHE sewer rats! I'm gonna enjoy watching you die!" Scarlet said as she walked towards them.

They stood in line, and Tifa was on the front. She shot Scarlet a deadly look. "Why do you even bother executing us?! Aren't the Weapons enough to-" Tifa tried to say but Scarlet cut her, slapping her across the face with a loud smack that made both Barret and Jocasta wince by the sound of.

"Silence! You don't get to talk without being spoken to!" Scarlet said angrily "Officer!" she cried over one of the SOLDIER infantrymen, who approached her immediately, waiting for orders "Take this filth into the gas chamber!" Scarlet said and then she started laughing again.

Jocasta cringed again. Gas chamber... It didn't sound good. But she watched while the soldiers dragged Tifa, and she tried to think of ways that she could buy her some time. When the idea finally popped in her head, she pretended she was laughing, by choking it back.

Scarlet's eyes met her, as she turned at her and crossed her hands against her chest "I don't get what's funny!"

"I'm sorry, but it's just..." Jocasta said and she pretended to choke another laugh back "...gas chamber? What kinda noob way is this to kill someone? Suffocation ain't so bad," she said and she noticed Barret nodding from behind approvingly. He seemed to get what she was up to, but Tifa on the other hand...

"What?!"

"Hmm..." Scarlet seemed to buy it, as she pressed a finger on her chin "...and what do you suggest, Professor?" of course, she'd know her. Everyone in Shinra probably knew that amongst their Most Wanted there was also that one scientist that used to work for them.

Tifa turned around, struggling against the soldiers that held her tightly by her arms "Joe! What the hell?!"

"Well, burning alive is considered the most painful way to die..." Jocasta said, her eyes fell on Cait Sith hiding behind a few chairs. He brought up her Sais and her daggers in his hands, letting her know that he had retrieved their gear. Jocasta felt relief easing the tension beneath her chest, and she turned her attention back at Scarlet "...but my personal favorite is- NOW! Cait!"

Cait Sith threw one of her two Sais. Jocasta grabbed it immediately, and before Scarlet was able to say anything, Jocasta elbowed her hard on her forehead. Scarlet fell on the metallic floor, unconscious, and the SOLDIER infantrymen lifted their guns, surrounding the trio and aiming at them.

"Don't move!"

"Surrender! You're surrounded!"

And then the alarms of the building resounded all around them.

WEAPON APPROACHING. ALL SOLDIERS RESUME YOUR POSITIONS.

Barret and Tifa laughed instantly. A weight lifted off their shoulders as they watched a few of the SOLDIER infantrymen leaving. The one dressed in red, which Jocasta assumed was their Commander, he turned at the rest "You stay here! Do not let them escape!" he said and he left with the rest of his squad.