Chapter 3

She put out food for Nelson, her cat, who had taken to hiding the past few days as was his ritual whenever she went back to work.

Eventually, she left for the university, reaching half an hour before her class, and was surprised to see three students waiting in her room.

Gawain, the young man who had been first to class the day before stepped forward.

"Ms. Lace, we were wondering if you could squeeze us into your Art History class."

She looked at the other two young men with him, both of whom she didn't recognize from any of her classes.

"Have you two done any of my Arts courses?"

"No, but we heard they were good courses," one replied, shrugging, his spiky black hair shifting on his shoulders with the action.

"Well, I have a few vacancies, come to my class tomorrow and I'll fit you in."

She had seen this before and had watched as the guys who joined her class with the intention of having a hot teacher and an easy elective drop out when they realised that the teacher wasn't interested and the course wasn't so easy.

They all nodded and left the room calmly, but she heard the sets of high fives they gave each other as soon as they left the room.

She turned to her desk, taking the locket from her pocket and began fingering the gold chain.

Bianca Colten. She had gone through the list of students in her class and had found the name. What surprised her even more was that Bianca seemed to be in all her classes, Art History, Intermediate Pottery, Sculpting, even her Natural Art class. The girl's name had even turned up on most of the classes she had taught in the last two years.

If her student list was correct the girl would be in her Sculpting class that afternoon.

Her stomach rumbled, and she got up, planning on heading to the cafeteria and seeing if there was something there she could eat.

As she turned the corner, the smell of pizza already calling her before she even got the chance to decide. She came to an abrupt halt as a student burst through the cafeteria door and ran into her, sending them both toppling to the ground.

"Fuck! I'm so sorry," the girl exclaimed and Giana looked up, straight into Bianca's eyes.

She looked surprised when she realised who she'd fallen on and rose hastily, only to fall back on top of Giana. After several attempts, they both managed to get to their feet. Giana grabbed her arm, stopping her from leaving.

"Bianca right? I found this. I believe it's yours," Giana said, holding out the locket. Before Giana could get out another word, Bianca said a quick thanks, snatching the locket before turning to leave.

Giana grip on Bianca's arm caused her sudden turn to bring them both tumbling to the ground again, this time Bianca's folder bursting open, a myriad of papers fluttering to the floor around them.

"I'm sorry," Giana responded out of reflex, reaching to pick up the papers but Bianca snatched them from her reach, gathering the papers into her arms. Before Giana could say anything Bianca had risen and disappeared around the corner.

Giana rose, shaking her head as she realised she'd fallen on top some of the papers and picked them up, surprised to find they were all sketches of her done in varying styles and mediums, initialled B.C. at the bottom. So this was why Bianca hadn't wanted her to see her work.

Giana couldn't stop herself from admiring the beauty of the sketches. No one had ever captured her so well on paper.

She slipped them into one of the books in her hand and went into the chaos of the cafeteria. James Laurent, the music professor waved her over to his table and she bought her lunch and joined him.