Chapter Four

Wherever Bakugou had gone, Deku was always there.

Always by his side, always following him.

It wasn't just the opinion of a bystander, or the thoughts of their peers, it was a statement.

A fact.

They had grown up together, Mitsuki and Inko had been best friend during their own childhood days and never drifted apart.
That was one of the reasons why Bakugou and Izuku were always bound to be friends.

Growing up, it was cute watching the two boys play heroes together, to see little Bakugou trying to protect Izuku from any possible danger and Izuku clinging to the other for protection.

It was adorable.

Mitsuki and Inko had squealed in adoration as their two babies had cuddled together in their sleep, as Katsuki had comforted Izuku when he cried, and as the two had rambled on and on about being the best hero duo to ever exist.

The two fought, understandably.
It were stupid fights, small disagreements from an adults point of view, but with Katsuki's personality, it always ended with the two boys not talking to each other.

After a few failed tries to get them to make up in the beginning, Mitsuki and Inko let them sort it out alone.

Whenever they had a fight, almost always started by Katsuki, Izuku was always found sitting alone with his knees drawn up to his chest, arms around them and just sitting, gazing into nowhere in particular.

And always, there had never been an exception, Katsuki would find him after having calmed down and sit beside his childhood friend.
They weren't talking, their bodies weren't touching, they'd just...sit there, as if Bakugou followed Midoriya right into the same train of thoughts, or maybe lack thereof, nobody would ever know.

And after a while, maybe an hour of just sitting, staring, Izuku would lay his head on Kacchan's shoulder, and the blonde would let him, leaning his own head slightly, almost unnoticeably, against the greenette.

That was their way of making up.

Inko never understood, neither did Mitsuki, and even Masaru and Hisashi - when he was still in the picture - were always left wondering on how... unconventional, unusual, their way of forgiving each other was.

But they figured they'd never find out.

It was something special, to both of the boys. There were no words, no apologies spoken out loud, only a small gesture and the next day they were fine again.

When Bakugou got his quirk, that was when things started changing.

His personality had always been very confident and loud, and after finally getting his super power that would distinguish him from everyone else, that made him even more special, those traits only grew and grew.

His confidence morphed into blind arrogance, his brashness into cruelty, and his kindness, the one only reserved for Izuku, was pushed back to the very back of his personality, a small part of him that seemed to just have...locked down.

It wasn't gone, not yet, he still played with Izuku and still helped him, but with every passing day that his childhood friend didn't get a quirk, Bakugou became angrier and impatient.
Izuku had promised they'd be the best hero duo ever! That only worked if he'd get his quirk.

At the time, he didn't even think about the possibility of him being quirkless, because how could the best friend of an amazing boy with an amazing quirk not have one.

He figured he'd just wait a little longer, wait until his thread of patience snapped.

It held for longer than expected, but all things were bound to break, to snap, to come to an end.