Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Tuesday 6th July 2008

Amelia couldn’t quite get used to not working. She’d never taken more than a week off in one go, here she was enjoying her second of four weeks off. Though she had plenty to occupy her. Li had arrived last night, late, and was still sleeping as she tried to organise her home.  A large suitcase sat in the corner of the lounge and she frequently added items to it. They’d booked into a luxurious resort in Hawaii, hoping that it would be as opulent as the one in Forgetting Sarah Marshall. They’d seen it in the cinema together earlier in the year, and it had long since influenced their plans for the next holiday!

When Li finally surfaced they hit the shops, both of them wanting a new dress to wear to the awards. In a particular boutique that had become Amelia’s favourite, they both found exactly what they wanted. Li a black strappy dress that came to her knees, flattering her petite figure, Amelia a floor length red number of thick taffeta with ruffles around the base. Amelia insisted on paying for them both, her gift of congratulations to her best friend.

Later they drank wine at a roof terrace bar, then shared a handmade pizza topped with olives and crispy prosciutto as they enjoyed the early evening sunshine.

                “So how are things with Clay?” Li asked at the first opportunity to really catch up. “I mean since you’ve left work.”

Amelia contemplated that question for a few moments, she’d come to care a lot for Clay, he was kind, loving, generous all the attributes you’d look for in a man. But she did know that there wasn’t the same electricity that she’d found instantly rekindled in that brief encounter with Sol back in London. She’d rationalised over the days weeks and months that there was the excitement of forbidden fruit, and she was convinced her reaction to him was just that, adrenaline and anxiety at fear of being discovered. No, Clay was what she wanted. He was good looking, she was very attracted to him, and he treated her with respect, more than any other man in her life had. He was a great kisser, and the sex was great, no complaints in that department. No she wanted to see Sol at the awards tomorrow and maybe even hear what he had to say, and then, only then could she close that chapter of her life. Get over him, move on.

Clay had flown to Philadelphia the previous day but he was due home in time to accompany them to the awards. Daichi had flown home to Japan for a family funeral, so Li didn’t have a date, on hearing that Clay had suggested her join them later after the presentation, that way there wouldn’t be any awkwardness for Li.

Wednesday7th July 2008

                “Wow! You look amazing!” Amelia gushed at Li as she appeared from the spare bedroom. The dress was stunning, she’d known that, but Li had coupled it with a silver wispy shawl and similar elegant heels, and her hair piled into an extravagant style was dotted with similar silver flowers.  She looked so quirky, yet elegant, a striking combination, “that dress is perfect on you!”

Li chuckled, “you stand there looking like some sort of Amazonian princess telling little me that I look nice! You will stop traffic in that red!”

Li always referred to Amelia as Amazonian, she’d always thought it was a polite way of saying ‘fuller figure’, but she’d not been this slim ever, and standing a good foot taller than Li did give her a staggering appearance in red.

                “We make a beautiful pair Li, how come we never felt this good when we were both single and on the prowl?”

Li laughed again, “Maybe it’s our confidence in our new men that is making us feel so great?”