Chapter 26

Warning: mature content

Hey baby x errands are running long, just let yourself in?

Louis had already pulled up Harry's driveway. He checked his phone when he didn't see Harry's truck there. They hadn't seen each other that week, so they agreed to meet at Harry's then go on a date that Sunday evening – to the movies then to get some dinner.

And Louis was early again – because he was trying to put forth an effort, trying to stop being late to everything, especially to things that involved Harry.

Okay, just got to yours. See you soon x

Louis picked up the mat and pulled the key out from under it, unlocking the door. He made sure he remembered to put the key back, considering the fact that it seemed like he was letting himself into Harry's a lot lately.

And he wondered if Harry might mention getting him his own key soon, but he didn't want to push it. It had only really been two months since they defined as Liam liked to tease him relentlessly about. Louis felt like this was his first real relationship – one that he wanted to go somewhere. So, he felt like he didn't really know what the "protocol" was.

He was standing in the kitchen, grabbing a bottle of water, when he heard the front door shut. "Lou?" he heard Harry call out.

"In here," he responded. "Are you-" he started but cut himself off when he saw Harry standing in the doorway of the kitchen. His fucking hair was gone. His hair was no longer in long, flowing curls that brushed his shoulders. The sides were cut lower, close to his ears. The top was longer – it was thick and looked too short to curl up. Or maybe that was just the way it was styled because it was standing straight up.

"What did you do?" Louis asked, astonished and unable to stop his thoughts from spilling out of his mouth.

"What? You hate it?" Harry asked, running his hand through his hair. Then his fingers immediately caught his bottom lip, started to tug at it anxiously.

"No, no." Louis said, quick to recover. He crossed the kitchen and pulled Harry's hand away from his lip. "S' just different, unexpected," he clarifies. Louis raised up on his toes, ran his fingers through the front of Harry's hair. It was really soft, fluffy even – in the way that hair can only be right after you've cut so much of it off.

"How come you cut it off?" Louis asked, he was still staring the hair.

"I was just going for a trim and all of a sudden – I don't know, I felt too wrapped up in it, like I cared about it too much, maybe?" Harry shrugged. Louis finally let his eyes trail down to Harry's – away from the hair. "Do you like it?" Harry asked, voice small.

"Of course, H. It's you, always like you." Louis leaned in and pressed quick kisses to his lips. When Harry leaned in to deepen the kiss, Louis' hands automatically went up to the back of Harry's neck – where they usually ended up when they kissed.

His fingers, which would typically wrap around long strands of curls down the base of Harry's neck, felt nothing but short, soft hair. It certainly wasn't long enough for him to grab or pull or tangle his fingers in. And Louis thought he hid the surprise, the dissatisfaction.

But Harry pulled back from him with pouty lips. "What?" Harry asked.

"S' nothing really, just taking some getting used to, you know? You love when I play with your hair."

"You can still play with my hair," Harry said, acting a little coy. Louis was mesmerized by the hint of mischief in his eyes, the way he was charming and alluring.