21 ♔ Calm Before the Storm

It was not what he expected. After sending off Therese, he rushed to Diana, with her pale face and teary eyes replaying in his head. Knowing her, who does not want to show weakness, he didn't knock and quietly entered the room.

Maybe because he wanted to be the only one catch her off guard, so she won't be able to show a brave face.

And he did. 

More than what he deserved.

As she undressed, with her back against him, Xander could not move, nor speak, nor think what to do next.

The light of the window showered her and formed a silhouette, an outline of slow moving art. A parallel line tattoo at both sides of her spine crawled to the base of back. They were characters to small for him to read. He's aware she was once a citizen of Levich, where tattoo and piercings were considered a tradition, but seeing it now, Xander thought that it was exquisite.

However, the moving art before him, halfway of undressing, sniffled and wiped her tears.

Only then, he was awakened in a daze and the question "Why are you crying?" bled out of his mouth.

Diana then quickly covered her half nakedness with her gown, hugging herself with the cloth to cover her chest, while the other hand on her shoulder.

Too late. Xander already saw.

He crossed the room in heavy steps and towered over her. "Remove your hand."

She didn't answer, eyes on the floor.

"Remove it."

Her finger clutched the skin, but eventually, she let go. There, the mark of teeth that sunk deep it almost cut her skin was tattooed as if it was painted under her flesh.

"Who did this?"

"I shall convey the full report later, Your Highness."

"Diana!" His voice echoed the walls, and the maids about to enter for her bath flinched and closed the door once more.

Black eyes stared back at him. Fierce and cold. The only evidence that she once cried was the moisture on he lashes and cheeks.

"Why are you angry? Aren't you supposed to praise me? I am doing well, Your Highness."

This version of Diana is what he wanted. But why does he want to break drown the walls?

"Good job," he muttered in gritted teeth. "I shall wait for your report." Xander then left.

From behind his desk, Xander has been starting into the door of his office for a while now. It was not his enemy, nor it deserved his burning glare, but half an hour had passed, and still, no Diana entered the door. Even after he poured his anger into the documents, and his desk was clean of things to do, he was bridled with irritation

It was good luck that he was not training with the knights. Although he was not a genius of a sword, he knew how to plunge one into a heart. Even the resilient Ysivan, who took the documents earlier, almost fled the room.

"Come in," he said, after finally, a brave soul knocked.

Diana entered the room, freshly bathed, dignified, and tearless. His eyes automatically settled on the spot where the mark was, now covered with the lacy cloth of her black collared gown up to her neck. She usually wears light and thin clothing, used to the freedom of movement from her island life, even in the Silver Palace. But now, she traded it for something dignified, somber, and constricting.