41 ♛ Prodigal Baroness

Deathless Angkahallas.

It was an impossibility brought to existence with magic and an emperor's intention.

Diana refused to acknowledge it, and so, she answered him with silence. But then the painful quiet was broken with his announcement.

"Bastian is sick."

He referred to the Alcottan butler. Throughout the years, Diana had exchanged letters with the few most trusted in the island, Bastian the butler and Alec's maid before, Miryam.  Bastian never mentioned any illness. Instead, he reported the changes on the territory that Xander did, following Diana's plans before her departure.

Xander's announcement isn't far from the truth. The butler is old. Knowing Bastian, he'd rather die polishing the manor's silverwares than leaving the island for better treatment in the capital.

"I sent the best doctors, Diana. But there's no cure for old age, even magic."

The image of the devoted butler who welcomed her and her mother despite being foreigners was engraved in her mind. He and a few helped hide Diana's pregnancy. Despite being poor nobles, Bastian remained on Alcotta isles as the butler. "Please, Your Majesty... let me visit the island."

"Granted." His reply was short and cold, but his expression said otherwise.

Years already past but Diana still could not forget the scenery back to Alcotta Isles. It was the same landmass at a distance. The only difference was the nonexisting encounter of black flags. There was none, and there was no need. After she resided in Levich, Sid ceased the command of monitoring the island for Diana.

It was only when Diana was taken to Levich that she knew. The so-called pirates were members of the Levichian sailors, sneaking into Gran Dacchia, as part of Sid's payment for being saved by Diana before.

People who never heard nor journeyed to Alcotta might assume that ships sail straight from port to port. However, to avoid three massive whirlpools that have existed since ancient times, sailors follow a zigzag path to reach the isles. Despite the dangers, seeing from a distance the third of these whirls that could swallow tens of ships, Diana smiled. It was the last one before... she stopped her thoughts before she could call the island 'home.'

"My lady, it's time for lunch."

Her smile retracted back to a frown. When she said she wanted to visit the island, it meant only her and the guards. But what she didn't understand was why Xander was steering the wheel of the massive ship, one from the Gran Dacchian armada at that. She only knew on the port, and she had no right to stop him.

One, she was at Gran Dacchia's mercy. Two, visiting Bastian mattered more than protecting her heart. And three, someone on the island could send letters to Alec without rousing suspicions.

"Is the food not to your liking?"

And so, Diana even shared a meal with Xander, who seemed unbothered by everything.

"No, it's fine." She pulled herself from deep thoughts.

She glanced at Xander, who was also looking at her. "Is the food not to your liking, Your Majesty?" She flung back the question when she noticed he barely touched his plate.

A small smile crept on Xander's lips as he slowly shook his head in amusement. "No, it's fine," he also answered the same words.

They ate in silence then, with nothing but waves kissing the ship as it parted the sea.