40 ♔ Deathless Angkahalla

In official documents, Diana was declared as a guest of Gran Dacchia while the investigation of bombing the palace was ongoing. But no fool would believe such. Some say because she was the Emperor's ex-fiancee that Diana was detained in the palace. A few blind optimists even thanked the gods that the empire might have an empress soon.

For a man such as His Imperial Majesty, can he even say sweet nothings to a lady? He'd point a sword and claim it as a confession of love.

Can he even love?

A silence would pass, then they'd beg forgiveness to nobody for questioning the monarch's abilities.

Bah! They dare attempt to hurt the emperor. And here I thought my grandsons could witness a decade with no war. It is right to cripple those Levichians and detain the envoy!

Someone I knew who had a nephew working at the palace said the emperor held the lit bomb and threw it. Such insanity. He said His Majesty was livid.

Gods save the Levichians.

This type of conversation was common among the capital. Diana, who was at the center of the storm, stayed in her chambers. After the Levichian ships sailed, she was left with no one. Xander even put two of his personal guards, the cloaked men, by her door. One of the maids that assisted her said that they were men from the allied tribes of Bahazon Green. As Gran Dacchia became an empire, diversity of colors and ethnicity was a common sight in the palace.

She had also seen it in the capital, once they rode the carriage from port to the imperial grounds upon their arrival. But to what extent, she had no idea. She has been stuck in the palace, interviewing soldiers and writing letters to Levich for updates in the past three days.

If Fedimon had used all their spirit stones and rushed the ship, they'd reach Levich less than a week in almost godlike speed and lurching stomachs. She hoped for a solution on their end to be done soon. Diana assumed she'd be there for at least a month, or she wished.

She could not be away too long. She promised Alec.

Fortunately, she was not treated any differently. They provided her freedom to investigate, and she was even granted to interrogate the prisoners. Only two were brought upon her. The third one already died.

But in the end, all they had to say were repeated curses of 'Krytash!' and the fall of Gran Dacchia.

"Filthy Gran Dacchians and their bastard emperor shall dirty the waters of Levich!" one even emphasized. Diana left the dungeon with nothing.

Her mind jumbled the possibilities. Sid would never do such things, she insisted. There were few extremists of Levich against opening its borders. The Allied States of Hanasubus also had their motives. Was it Gran Dacchia itself? But for what purpose?

She stopped and sighed. Despite the beautiful view garden and the greenhouse roof at a distance, she was not in the mood to explore the sight, painted by the setting sun.

She turned back to the pair of a cloaked man and a knight as her guards, a few steps behind her. More than to protect, they were there to watch her every move.

Now what? She asked herself. She needed to investigate the Silver Palace, where the bombs were planted.

Diana stood in her spot in silence. The Silver Palace... It was too late to ask Ysivan permission. Tomorrow.

However, by the time Diana returned to her chambers, she was welcomed by the sight of maids packing her things. "What's the meaning of this?"

The head maid informed, "You have been requested to move to Silver Palace, My Lady."