under the same sky

After a bit of driving and debating with Johnny, Josh arrived at the Museum of Art. He makes his way in, not caring if anyone looked at him strangely, as he has now become more open and animated with his conversations. He looks around, unsure of where to even begin admiring.

"So where should we go first?" Josh asks with a wide smile.

"You're my guide my friend," Johnny says as Josh blushes a bit.

"Well then I'm winging it," Josh chuckles softly as he jogs to a random part of the museum. He's never winged it before.

And off they both go. Josh makes his way around the various exhibits, describing everything in great detail. Abstract art with defined shapes and colors pique his interest, while Johnny loves the traditional portraits and paintings. Josh tells him of one with a man in all black attire, with a brown belt, shiny boots, and a defined face with curly brown hair. Johnny tells him that it sounds like him.

It must've been two hours before they finally left the museum, but it was only midday. They still had some time left.

"Do you wanna go somewhere else?" Josh says, as it's not a question that he wants to hear a negative answer from.

"Are you kidding me? Let's go!"

So they traversed the city. Josh first stopped for lunch at Taco Bell. They both shared a love for it, to which they both spent a good ten minutes ranting on and on about. Josh then wandered his way into a bakery, going into great detail about the scents (freshly baked cookies with flour and dough hitting the air as the warmth of the ovens tied the whole experience together). They went through stores of clothes and books, Josh telling Johnny everything he saw like a story.

And then, after stopping for dinner at a local restaurant, Josh sits on a wooden bench on the emptying streets, noting the purple, pink, and orange hues of the sunset. He adjusts his snapback to watch the day come to a close, and the night take its place. The cool air settles as the temperature slightly dips, causing Josh to zip up his hoodie. He sits in silence with Johnny, but this time, the quiet doesn't set him on edge. He feels calm, something he rarely feels.

He wants to meet Johnny, maybe just see his face. Just something to prove that he's real. But then again, maybe that wouldn't be such a good idea. He'd wait it out. After all, they've only known each other for about a couple of weeks.

"I had fun today," Johnny softly says as he breaks the silence.

"Me too," Josh returns. "Me too."

"So where are you now?"

"On a bench. Gazing up at the sunset."

"You can see it too?" Johnny perks up a bit as he tries to pick out the varying hues from his bed. He's barely left his room today, too enthralled by the day he's shared with Josh.

"Yeah. It's breathtaking."

There's a stop in the conversation as they both stare up at the sky. Everything is still except for the sound of the other's static breathing over the phone. It's oddly calming, knowing someone is there. The presence of the other is comforting to them as they stare into the vastness of the universe.

"We're staring at the same sky," Johnny whispers. He trails off.

"I think that's pretty wonderful," Josh whispers back.

"It gives me proof that you're real." Johnny says as his mind falls down into endlessness. "Describe yourself to me. I know it sounds silly, but I like the way you talk."

After a tiny beat, Josh starts.

"Black hair like the dead of night, but it's soft and welcoming. Arms that desperately want to hold someone, but push them away. Eyes filled with the worries of thousands, light brown like the trees swaying in the wind. And a soul that no one knows."

Johnny reaches toward the window, like he's reaching for Josh. Like somehow, the warmth of his hands will grace his. He takes a small breath before speaking.

"The body of a dreamer, always alive and breathing fire. Arms that reach and yearn for love. Eyes that glimmer with all the emotion inside a lonely boy fighting for his life. Oh those brown haunting eyes...they'll tell you everything." Johnny paints the picture in Josh's head with watercolor words and sweet undertones. He's never talked this way with anybody else. Neither has Josh.

"I wish you were here right now," Josh says without thinking. But he has been thinking about it. It's been on his mind all day.

"I wish I was too."

"Can I see you sometime?"

Johnny pauses with anxious butterflies batting around in his stomach. "I don't know if that would be a good idea."

"Why not?" Josh is saddened by this. After how much fun he had today, why wouldn't they both meet in person?

"I'm just..." Johnny doesn't continue for a bit. He sounds upset. "I'm just afraid that I'll let you down."

"Johnny...I've had more fun with you today then I have in who knows how long. How could you let me down?"

"What if I'm not what you hoped for?"

"I didn't hope for anything. But you showed up, and I stayed. I could've just ignored your calls, but I didn't. Doesn't that show you how I feel?"

After a moment, Johnny takes a calming breath. "Thanks for sticking around, Josh."

And then, all at once, they both stop feeling something they've felt their entire lives: lonely.

i'm pretty sure this is my favorite chapter i've written tbh <3