dreaming with my eyes open

It was an uneventful day in the warehouse. Barely anyone was in the actual store, and most of Josh's coworkers were sitting around, conversing over the light workload for the day. He sits on the floor with Chris, looking up at the ceiling with boredom. He hadn't been talking to Johnny as much, after a conversation where he was encouraged to practice the drums more. His free time had now been filled with trying to perfect his craft yet again.

After a bit of small talk, Chris sits up, almost as if a lightbulb went off in his head.

"You know, we could go up to the store," he says with a wry smile.

"And what would we do there?" Josh rolls his eyes at the idea.

"Jam out of course! We could play the drums. You know I've never heard you play before," Chris teases as Josh plays with the idea of sneaking away from work. It would only be for a little bit, and they already have everything done...

"Alright, alright. You win!" Josh laughs as he raises his hands in surrender. " But just for a little bit."

"Yes!"

Chris cheers as he makes his way up the stairs to the store. Josh balances himself as he gets to his feet and follows behind Chris. They both arrive at the door and open it slowly and steadily, careful to make sure no one hears them. Josh peeps his head through the door like a bunny rabbit, alert and sneaky, but in a way that's just helplessly adorable.

"You sure we should be doing this?" Josh winces as he looks back for Chris' reassurance.

"Pff. It'll be fine. Let's go!"

So on they went tiptoeing into the back room with different instruments to try. They maneuvered their way over the brownish tan carpet tiles until Josh spotted a shiny drum kit, black and red with a slick shine, unlike his set that has been well-loved with use. It fills him to the brim with happiness just looking at them.

"Go ahead," Chris motions to the kit, noticing Josh's enthusiasm.

"Really?"

"Knock yourself out. I'll take the other one," Chris replies as he positions himself at the other drumset closeby.

Josh steps over to the kit and plops himself down on the black leather swivel stool. He picks up the wooden sticks, which feel slightly used but still have a lot of life left in them. With a scratch at his head and a fiddle with his silver lip ring, Josh begins.

He hits the drums and instantly falls in love all over again. The steady beat of the bass, the sharp buzz from the snare, the hi-hat that never fails to impress. It's all such a whirlwind of excitement. He plays a bit of a beat before Chris jumps in.

"Is that all you got?" Chris smirks at him as he hits the drums and creates a more complicated beat.

Josh can't help but let a small laugh escape, but he tries to remain tough. "Are you challenging me to a drum battle?"

"Hell yeah I am!" he responds while he points his sticks at Josh.

"Let's go then!" Josh hits the drums with more precision. The game is on.

They go back and forth with their beats, each one better than the last. The constant creating and reacting sets Josh's heart on fire. This is what he loves. He keeps going, faster and faster until his arms burn. After endless rounds, Chris finally calls it quits.

"Looks like I beat the master!" Josh widely grins as he wipes his sweat. Chris gives a tired but encouraging smile. Before he can reply, the store's manager, a girl in her mid-twenties with a chill attitude, is staring them down. She gives them a look for them to leave, but she looks like she enjoyed the performance.

Josh turns to go but a tap on his shoulder forces him to spin around.

"Hey. You were really good," the girl says with a smile.

"Oh, thanks," Josh grins with a bit of embarrassment. Her intricate tattoos and pink dyed hair made him eye her with admiration. He'd love to look like that one day.

He waves his goodbyes as he and Chris run back down to the warehouse.

Those drums made Josh ache for a reality in which he could play every night. Sold out shows. Crowds of fans with love and support. Doing what he loved every single day.

Who was he kidding? It's just a daydream. Something to get him through the times when life was too harsh and overwhelming.

It's just a daydream. Not gonna happen. No matter how much you want it or how much you wanna leave this place, it won't come true. Deep down, you know that.

But that was the problem. It was just a daydream.

That absolutely had to change.