a fake smile.

Inspired by: a japanese music video Candies and Chains.

I am very tired from running through that long tunnel called "writer's block" :'>

This is a bit short.

———

"Hey, where did you learn that fake smile of yours?"

Suspicious. That's what Amane had been thinking lately. And that person is a girl, a one peculiar girl, he's been suspicious for who knows long.

He doesn't know why but, everyday he would see bruises and scars all over her face and hands. Even during P.E, she would wear long sleeves even though it's hot.

This is not like her. He always had a feeling that her smile is not real. It was like someone has been forcing her to smile in the crowd.

But he couldn't do anything about it, he still doesn't know whether her smile is fake or not.

"Hey Yashiro-san! You got a cut on your wrist. Did your cat scratched you again?" Nene giggled and told them that it's nothing. And telling that her cat is being aggressive.

And it hit Amane, something is not right about this. Something is not right.

After school.

Nene packed her things up and ready to go home. The others already went home, leaving her and Amane.

She hummed softly, while heading towards the exit, but stop when she realize a presence of a person. She opened her eyes, and saw her classmate, Amane Yugi, standing right next at the door. Looking at the ground.

She thought that he might have depression. So she cheered him up.

"See you tomorrow Yugi-kun!"

Now it's his chance.

While Nene was close to the exit, he grab her wrist, tight enough so she won't run away.

"Tell me, Yashiro-san. Where did you learn that fake smile of yours?" Nene widens her eyes. A sweat can be seen by Amane. He knew he was right,

He always knew.

But why does he feel like he was wrong too?

"W-what are you t-talking about?" Nene gently push his hand away, Amane let her do that since he doesn't want to annoy her.

"Don't lie to me. There's something off about your bruises. Tell me, did something happen at your home?" He asked, Nene didn't wanna tell him.

She just couldn't.

"It's..you know me! The bruises? It's just, I'm being clumsy and hit myself at some furniture. And the scars, my cat-"

"I know you don't have a cat. And I know you're lying." Amane started to walk up to her, Nene started to step back.

"Yashiro-san. Please, tell me what's going on." Amane asked, hoping that she would answer. But she didn't, she just kept her mouth shut.

Out of the blue, Nene got out of Amane's grasp and started running down through the empty hallways.

Her mind flashes a memory of what happened. She couldn't help but just hold back her tears, then suddenly she felt a hand grab her wrist.

She looked behind her and yanked her hand away from Amane. But he didn't hesitate to just grab her shoulders.

"Yashiro-san! Calm down!" After that sentence, Nene push Amane. After a quick glance of Amane being pushed, she saw him. His angry face staring at her.

Nene closed her eyes, trying to forget her traumatizing boyfriend.

Amane wiped his sweat and quickly hug Nene to comfort her, she was shocked by this.

"Yashiro-san! I l..." Suddenly, she can't hear anything. Their surroundings became dark, it's like time has seem to stop for a moment. It's like Amane had calmed her down.

When Amane squeezes Nene, she came back to normal. She immediately hugged him back.

"I guess I could tell you Yugi-kun.." She mumbled, loud enough for him to hear her. He widens his eyes and nodded.

After her story, it turns out that Nene has an abusive boyfriend who is the cause of her bruises and scars. And she couldn't break up with him because she loved him so much.

Amane told her that it might be best to just break up with him. She nodded and got up, and headed back to their classroom to get their stuff.

When they got out from the school, and insisted that he will walk Nene home so he could confront her boyfriend to break up.

And she agreed.

"Hey, Yashiro-san." Amane added.

Nene hum in respsonse.

"Do you..heard what I said back there? That time when I hugged you?" Amane scratch his head and had a tint of blush on his cheeks.

"No? I couldn't hear anything for some reason. Why? What did you say to me Yugi-kun?" Amane shook his head.

"No reason."

I love you.