44 / We Meet Again

"All?"

The bubble of fear in Thomas's stomach rose to his throat and he had to swallow it back down to keep it under control. His belly still churned, but it wasn't enough to make him feel sick or for it to show externally.

"Yes, all. We're a family here. You can be a part of it, if you like."

"A family? I have a family."

"You have a dad who shopped you to the Spotters."

"How do you know?"

"You're famous kid. You're on The Spot. Your dad's a hero for handing you over before you lost it. You don't look eight though."

"I'm ten."

"Ten? That's... that's impossible!"

Thomas shook his head. It was unusual for a child to go two years, that was obvious, but it had clearly happened. He was standing there, still sane.

"Well, I'm ten, either way."

"OK.... cool."

Cool? Thomas didn't think it was 'cool'. He thought it was scary and sad and tragic. He shrugged.

"I'm..."

"Thomas. We know who you are. I'm Alex."

Alex's held out hand was taken and shaken by Thomas. It was a surprising change of attitudes and Thomas felt muddled. He was meant to be afraid. Frantic. Instead, he felt calm. He felt unthreatened for possibly the first time in his life. He also felt a kinship to Alex. They were both confused about their true selves. They were both hiding who they really were because of the attitudes of others.

"Who else is here? You know they'll be looking for me?"

"Like I said, we're a family. The Spotters won't find you here."

"How can you be sure?" Thomas asked doubtfully. "They can get pretty much anywhere."

"We're Blocked in here. You don't need to worry."

"But there's a door. When there's a door, there's obviously something behind it."

Alex smiled broadly, showing teeth that flashed a too perfect white.

"There's no door now, at least on the other side. It was only there to let you through. Now it's just a wall."

"But...? Why did you make it so hard for me to get through?"

"We had to be sure you were alone. They've got drones after you and a Fly is zipping all over everywhere, hoping to chance on you."

Thomas shuddered. His fear had rushed back to fill his body again, and the sensation was enough to bring bile to the back of his throat.

"Don't worry," Alex said. "Come on and meet everyone."

Thomas nodded, swallowing back the dark edge of foreboding. He could only see one exit, and that was the door he'd entered through, which now apparently didn't exist outside of the room. He was confused when Alex walked to the opposite wall, moreso when it fizzed and dropped vertically in a mass of rapidly dissipating bubbles.

Beyond was a room twice the size of the one they were in, made bigger with the removal of the dividing wall. Along the far wall was a long bench, scattered with objects, each covered by a cloth. Spreading out on either side of the bench were children. They were dirty and their clothes looked well worn, just holding off the transformation into rags. Standing in front of, and facing the table, was a man, hunched over. He was working on the only uncovered object.