56 / Revelations

The air was suddenly filled with a hum that vibrated through them, making Thomas and Bren's teeth feel as if they were rattling loose. It was more feeling than sound, but was enough for them to press their palms against their ears, trying to block the pressured trembling out.

The invasion of sensation ceased abruptly enough to wrench the held breath from them.

Lowering their hands, both noticed the change around them. Something was now absent. Something they hadn't realise existed prior to that moment. Its departure left a chill that drifted across them in slow waves.

"Move it, now!" The voice was insistent and one that felt not to be accustomed to being ignored. It was also directionless, arriving at their ears from an indeterminable origin.

The children stared at each other, the same questioning expression worn on their faces. Though it was slightly distorted, the voice had to be Womack's. Did they heed it or respond with demands of their own?

"Don't!"

The drone, David's eyes, ears and mouthpiece, was back. Any thoughts of questioning what they assumed to be Womack were gone. They ran forward, wincing at the potential for the wall to still be there, but sure the change they sensed meant it no longer blocked their way.

It didn't, though after only a few steps had been taken, the sudden deadening of the air showed it had returned. This time, Thomas and Bren were within its confines. And they felt confined.

"What...?"

It was Bren who had begun the question asking what they should do next. It was Bren who didn't finish her sentence. It was Bren and Thomas who, simultaneously, slipped slowly to the floor, eyes closed...

"Thomas! Thomas, wake up!"

Thomas opened his eyes, blinking at the bright lights glowing from under the surfaces of the walls. Bren was standing over him, looking relieved when she saw he was back with her. He pushed himself up to sitting and realised he was on a low bed in a room reminiscent of the one he'd stayed in before being cast out on The Spot. He stood, shuddering at the memory.

"Where are we?" he asked.

Bren shook her head.

"I don't know. I only woke up a few seconds ago myself. He must have brought us in from outside."

"Where is he? Has he been in? Have you seen him?"

Thomas was looking around. The room was very similar to the previous one, but there was one major thing missing. This room had no door. He asked Bren if she'd noticed it too. She hadn't.

"How did he get us in here, then?" she asked. "Unless he's a Wigwam?"

She paused, her brow furrowing.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing. It's fine. We need to get out of here."

"Tell me," Thomas insisted. "And what were you trying to say outside?"

"It doesn't matter. Not now."

We don't have time for this. I should tell him, but I can't. But I should.

"It clearly does, looking at your face. Just tell me. Is it serious?"

"No, of course not."

Yes.

"I don't believe you."

Thomas gripped Bren's hand and leaned forward.

"Just tell me."