The Song

Disclaimer: I give James Dashner full credit for the Maze Runner Trilogy. The only character I own is Kelley.

I spent the next day in bed with nothing to do. Clint stopped by a few times to check on me and switched out the bandages on my arm since they had been soaked up by quite a bit of blood.

I finally got to see how bad the cut ended up being. Apparently, it needed nine stitches. I wasn't sure how severe that was, but it seemed bad enough to me. Clint reassured me it wouldn't take too long to heal.

When Clint wasn't there, Frederick helped me pass the time by telling me stories about his psychic adventures. Most of them consisted of solving murders with his socially awkward friend and a couple of difficult policemen. He would relentlessly flirt with one of the policemen; Frederick had described her as being the Juliet to his Romeo. 

I returned the favor by telling him about the Gathering that had happened yesterday. He applauded me for how well I did and teased me about Newt. He claimed he heard wedding bells in our future. I punched him in the arm and told him to shut up or I'd make him go away. He apologized and promised not to do it again.

He's such an idiot.

Finally, night came and I was starting to fall asleep. I thought it wouldn't have been easy since I had already spent the entire day in bed, but sleep came rather quickly.

That is until I heard laughter and music coming from outside. I rolled my eyes and groaned. Were the boys going to be this rowdy every day? Then there was a knock on my door.

"Come in," I said.

Clint opened the door and smiled at me, "Would you be interested in going out to join the party? It's technically for you."

I was confused, "A party? For me?"

"Well, it's just cause we got a newbie. Nothing really too personal. Just for fun and for you to get to know the rest of us."

"Oh. That seems cool, but do I have the doctor's permission to be moving around?"

He smirked and shrugged, "I'm sure he would allow it. It's just for one night and you've been resting all day."

Clint walked over and helped me get up. I grabbed the crutches and hobbled my way out of my room and down the stairs. We walked out the front door and towards the boisterous group of boys dancing and singing around a fire about fifty feet from the Homestead.

When we got there, I couldn't help but laugh. It seemed like none of the boys cared what the other thought. 

They would make faces and chase each other around. Others were doing some kind of tribal dance that they obviously made up themselves. Around five of them were playing instruments and singing songs I couldn't quite recognize. There was even a wrestling ring where two of the boys were trying to one-up each other.

It was almost like they were all truly happy. They had found a way to escape from the constant hardships and concerns of this life. It seemed like a scene out of a movie.

"Are you okay if I join them?" Clint asked.

I smiled, "Go ahead, have fun. I don't want to stop you."

Clint grinned from ear to ear and whooped as he joined in on the dancing. I laughed as I watched him.

I sat down on a log about ten feet from everyone else. I didn't want to set myself in the center of attention.

The jubilation was intoxicating. Even though I couldn't quite join the boys, I felt like one of them. I danced with them in my heart and sang with them in my mind. Maybe I didn't have my memories, but I was sure I had never seen something so enjoyable as this. I could watch them for hours and never grow tired of it.