The Maze

Disclaimer: I give James Dashner full credit for the Maze Runner Trilogy. The only character I own is Kelley. I use the appearances of the characters from the movies but the books' circumstances.

My eyes fluttered open. I was lying on cold, rough stone. I could feel the sun's warm rays beating down on my back. I lifted up my head a little and blinked a few times, getting my eyes to adjust. The floor was cracked from age.

I sat up. Hair fell in front of my face, so I swept it away. I looked at my hands; dirty, scuffed and slightly bleeding.

"Ow." 

Whoa. I thought to myself. This is what I really sound like? I couldn't believe that I didn't remember the sound of my own voice. It was deeper than I had expected.

Now that you mention it, I don't remember anything. Where am I? How did I get here? What was I doing? Oh, crap....who am I?

Kelley.

That was my name. The only thing that I could remember.

I looked at my clothes. I was wearing a thick, light brown, button-up jacket with two pockets, a plain white t-shirt, beige cargo pants and some seriously heavy-duty hiking boots. I was covered in dirt. My shirt had a few holes in it. What had happened? 

I stood up and looked around. I was in some sort of corridor. There were stone walls that were impossibly tall and what seemed to be like more corridors branching off from either end. Other than the ivy scaling almost every inch of the place, I couldn't see any other sign of life. 

I noticed the sun was in the near middle of the sky. Noon. How long had I been laying here? Why aren't there any people? What am I supposed to do?

Questions kept flowing in and out of my mind and I knew I was going to get a headache. So I stopped. I stopped thinking and focused on what was more important for the moment. I at least knew that wherever I was, I wasn't supposed to stay. I needed to get out.

I looked around some more and a memory came to mind, a single word. Maze. Well, shoot. I remembered how difficult those were to navigate. How was I supposed to get out if I didn't even know where I was?

I walked down the corridor and peered around the corner. There wasn't anything too different. Just more corridors. More chances to get hopelessly lost. I walked down another one and stopped at an intersection. I looked down both and they were practically identical.

My word, who made this? Who had so much time on their hands that they made this ridiculously elaborate maze? They needed to get a life. 

I took the left corridor because it seemed slightly more promising.

Another left.

A right.

A right again.

Where am I supposed to go? Do I just wander around aimlessly until I find something or someone? What do I even say? Kind sir, would you please direct me out of this maze? I've lost my way and it is forever impossible to keep track of all these corridors. Do you by chance know who I am? I surely haven't a clue. Oh, look! A squirrel!

I began to wonder if I'd manage to stay sane before I found anyone.

I walked left to another corridor. Left. Another memory surfaced and I smacked my forehead for not realizing it earlier. It was a strategy for being lost in a maze. If you stuck to the left wall and never let go, you'd eventually find the way out. Or was it the right wall?

My gut told me left would probably be the likelier one out of the two, so I slapped the left wall and dragged my hand along it. 

Minutes passed. Minutes turned into hours. I had no way to keep track of the exact time. The sun had moved down quite a bit, but it was far from sunset. What was I to do? I've whistled every tune imaginable to keep myself occupied. If this maze was as big as I thought it was, how long would it be until I had found an exit?