Prologue 2

Disclaimer: I give James Dashner full credit for the Maze Runner Trilogy. The only character I own is Kelley. The song I use is an alternate version of the song from "Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch. Read the book and its backstory. It makes me cry every time.

I was nine when they found me. My mother and father refused to give me up. My father swore on his grave that they would never lay a hand on his daughter.

So they put a bullet through his head.

My mother wept over her husband's body. My younger sister and brother sat on the couch in confusion. They were too young to understand what had happened.

I begged the men to let me say goodbye to my family for a while, then I would go with them willingly. They gave me two minutes.

I ran to my mother and held onto her tight. I promised I would see her again. I promised that I would take care of myself so we could be a family once all of this was over. She held me close and told me she loved me. I said the same back to her. 

I hugged my siblings and told them I loved them. They were only two at the time, so they didn't understand a word I said. I was going to miss them dearly. How were they going to remember me? My mom said she wouldn't let them forget.

My last request was for my mother to sing our song one more time. It didn't sound too pretty since she was in tears, but it was the most beautiful moment of my life. She held all of us in her arms and sang these words:

"I'll love you forever. I'll love you for always. As long as I'm living, my babies you'll be."

The men said our time was up. I screamed at the top of my lungs. One more minute. That's all I wanted. Two minutes hadn't been long enough. I just needed one more minute.

They threatened to shoot my mother if I wasn't ready to comply. I quickly shut up and followed them out the door, listening to my mother sob as she held her screaming twins.

They claimed W.I.C.K.E.D. was good ever since they took me. Out loud, I would have said the same thing, but on the inside, I repeated the same phrase over and over in my head. It was a phrase my mother had taught me. She said it was a scripture. 

Wickedness never was happiness.