Chapter 05

SHANE

I LEFT THE hospital as soon as I got a message from my mom, I didn't know what to do. I panicked. I haven't talk to her in almost three years. I didn't know that she would even contact me after all these years.

When I got home I immediately dialed her number as I sat on the couch, nervously tapping my nails on my coffee table.

On the fourth ring, she answered the call.

"Hello? Mom?" A tear almost fell from my eyes when I exclaimed the word 'mom'. I haven't got the chance to say in a very long time.

"Shane Lindsay Finnegan, your father is dying." She croaked from the other line and I felt my heart dropping.

"M-mom-"

"Come home this instant! I don't care what you did in the past just...just come home okay?" Her voice was strong and full of intimidation.

I nodded, even though I know that she is not seeing what I am doing.

"You understand? We need you here!" She exclaimed again.

MY HEART SKIPPED a beat when I heard my apartment's buzzer again, letting me know that someone is on my door. Its Sunday, barely 4 in the afternoon. I fell asleep on the couch last night, thinking about what my mother said. I cried all night, thinking about my dad. Why does everyone I love die?

I ran my way downstairs only to be surprised by a guy with familiar blue eyes standing on my doorstep, carrying his sleeping child on his shoulders.

"Hey-" I timidly greeted as I walk my way towards them.

"I don't know how to put this but I would really like to talk to you." He scratches the back of his neck with his free hand.

I nodded and led them into my apartment.

When we reached my place, Luke asked me if He can lay his kid on the couch and I simply nodded.

"Can I get you a glass of water? Coffee? Anything you like?" I fidget with my fingers, unsure of what to say to him.

"You don't have to get me anything, Shane. You've done enough." He mumbled sending shivers down my spine. His voice is warm and low and husky.

"I hope you didn't mind me helping you with the bills and anything, I didn't mean to pry." I kept my gaze on the ground not looking at him,

"I just wanted to thank you. I don't know..I don't know how to thank you enough for what you've done to us, for me and Grayson. What you did is a really big deal for me and me saying thank you is not enough." He stared at me with his blue eyes and I just got lost in it.

My thoughts were composed of me worrying about my dad and the way my mother talked to me on the phone..how she dropped the bomb on me, telling dad is about to die just like that, her voice doesn't even sound broken like it was just a pretty casual talk.

"Shane?" Luke's voice exclaimed to me, making me zone back in reality.

"Oh sorry." I chuckled unattractively, "Just forget it, you don't have to feel that you have a debt to pay to me because you don't, I like helping people" I muttered honestly.

"But, you saved my son's life. How could I not possible feel that I have a debt to pay to you-" He ruffled his hair and made his tight quiff a mess before running his tongue on his lips, moisturizing the cracks on it. "I have a proposal to make.."

"Proposal?"

He nodded,

"What do you mean?"

"I would gladly pay you back with the money I owe you by working for you-" His voice was full of embarrassment,

"Wait, what?"

"You might need a maid or anything, right? Uh-look, if you need someone to run down the grocery or someone to do your laundry..or someone who could cook for you. I can be that,"

"But, Im fine on my own, I don't want to burden you and like I said its okay, just forget it"

"I told you, I cant just forget about it, My conscience cant make me sleep if I don't do anything for you..please,"

I sighed, "How long is this going to last? And Luke you have a son, you cant run errands for me all the time and I wont even ask you to do things for me, I told you Im okay." I insisted

"Don't worry about Grayson, he's a wonderful kid, I can keep an eye on him, he wouldn't be a problem, Im sure." He was persistent, "You tell me how long this is going to be"

"A week" I answered unsure.

He shook his head, "A week couldn't even cover half of the price you paid for Gray's medicine and hospital bills"

"A month?"

"Deal."

I PACKED MY bags as soon as Luke and his son stepped out of my apartment. I have a lot of things running in my mind right now and I couldn't help my lips from trembling. I am tired and very lost.

When I finished what I had to do, I decided to make my way out and finally go back home.

LUKE

GRAYSON WOKE UP as soon as we were walking down the stairs of Shane's apartment.

"Daddy, is this our home now?" He asked, his voice little and tired.

My heart sank again for the millionth time, "No, buddy. We just had to visit Shane for awhile and thank her for saving your life."

"Why, daddy? Is she a doctor?" His voice full of wonder.

"No, baby. You'll understand when you grow up." I sat him on the passenger seat, tucking him in and properly buckling him.

"But daddy, I four already, am big boy!"

I chuckled at his silliness, "We should go visit Shane soon, when you're feeling all better, you have to thank her. Okay, bud?"

"Kay, daddy" He smiled happily.

"Now let me buy you a happy meal!"