Chapter 12

It was from Ryan; her heart skipped a beat as she replied to his text.

Yes.

He didn't have to explain why he needed to stay over, and frankly; she didn't want him too.

However, Laura knew her parents would freak out if a boy they'd met once decided to come over for a midnight sleepover, or rather any boy for that matter. She didn't know why she was not more nervous maybe it was just that she just wanted to see him so badly, she didn't even consider the consequences.

Actually, I'll pick you up. Text me your address.

She texted quickly, she threw on a sweatshirt over her t-shirt, and sweatpants over her bare legs. She tied her messy hair into a ponytail. However, she realized there was no way she would be getting out of the house so easily, it was New Year's Eve at midnight.

Laura decided to think of a believable excuse, but there was none. She managed to try anyway. Slowly she walked down the stairs contemplating a good excuse. But when she reached her parents, she blurted out the only excuse she could think of.

"Hey, Mom, Dad, Marie invited me over to have a little celebration of the New Year at her house, could I go, possibly?" they exchanged a glance; however, Laura knew they have already decided individually.

"I'm sorry, no," her dad said, she groaned a bit and looked over to her mom who just shook her head.

"No sweetie, it is too dangerous to get in the car this late at night on New Year's Eve, and you know your father and I have had a few too many." Laura's mom then giggled at her husband, who just shrugged. This was officially useless; Laura knew this from the start.

"Fine, I'll just stay home then."

The lie slipped through her lips like flowing water. Of course, she wasn't going to be talked down from it now, she was leaving with or without their permission. She had to make sure Ryan would be alright, whatever was going down.

She waited until her parents turned off the lights to watch television, and then she went to the entrance, grabbing the keys to the car from her mom's coat pocket. She hoped they hadn't heard her as she snuck out the door, but she was fairly certain they were too drunk to care at that point. She climbed into the car, and slowly backed down the driveway uncertain of where she was headed. Until she heard a buzz coming from her phone.

Pick me up at Maple Park, off of Amherst St.

She knew where Maple Park was, less than a ten-minute drive. But Laura was still on high alert, she had technically just committed auto-theft. Well, sort of, she supposed her parents wouldn't press charges. Though it must've occurred to her parents that she would eventually turn into the reckless teenager they were worried about. Laura couldn't help but feel guilty as she let go of her inhibitions, to theoretically rescue a boy she met this year. While driving her mind was screaming at her to turn around and that he didn't like her.

Laura knew she had debated that issue for far too long because right now, she liked him and that was all it took for her mind to shut off, much as it did at the Christmas party. That night in the fallen snow with him was something she would never forget. She wasn't willing to give into logical thought just yet.

Soon enough she pulled up to the ominously vacant park until she saw Ryan swinging on one of the swings. Laura got out of the car to join him. The freezing cold hit her like a ton of bricks, but she ignored it.

"This better not be a ruse just to hang out, this is life or death, right?" Laura deadpanned.

"You could call it that," he just looked down like he was ashamed of something, "you know, I always loved parks as a kid. My parents used to always bring me to this one to just mess around for a while."

He looked up to smile at her, or at least Laura thought it was a smile, it was dark except for one streetlight. She saw the glint from his eyes through the darkness.

"Though I was pretty sure while I was at the park, they were shooting up. I always thought it would get better—but then I just accepted them. I thought, 'they'll learn eventually.'" he sighed and laughed coldly, "Tonight, my father, gave me a black eye." he stated this openly, almost shouting it. As if to admit to the world, he had finally cracked.

Laura instantly felt a wash of dread come over her, she hadn't noticed it before, but Ryan had a few scars. She always ignored the on his cheek, because he claimed it was because of a branch. But maybe she ignored it because she was scared, scared about what she would learn about his family, what she would learn about him. Laura didn't feel like a hero rescuing her friend, she was a coward for ignoring the signs that told her something was wrong.

"I'm so sorry," she said because that was all she could say. She was aware she couldn't relate; her family was perfect in comparison. At least the family she lived with. She felt so upset, Ryan needed someone to help him out, and yet she felt like she was unable to make him feel better, to console him, she didn't feel qualified to speak.

"Yeah, it's kinda sucky—," he looked up at the sky, his was probably working a mile a minute," —but that's my life. Anyway, my father told me, 'don't even bother coming back, or else.' I nearly stayed, but thought it wasn't worth it. I really thank you for this," he glanced over at Laura, even though he was shrouded in complete darkness, she looked at him too. Laura tried to make out his facial expression, only his eyes shown through, and they looked exhausted.

"It is no problem," Laura said, her words croak out, she wanted to cry but needed to remain strong. Her feelings right now didn't matter.

They drive back to her house, almost in silence until Ryan turned on the radio, "Imagine" by John Lennon was playing.

"Leave it here," she said, and he turned it up. She smiled as he started to sing along softly, and she joined in. She loved how peaceful and nostalgic the song felt. They didn't sound bad together either. She took a quick glance at him and his eyes are already on her.

"You sing well," he said causing her face to flush a bit, she smiled accepting the compliment.

"Thanks."

"I've always wanted to sing well, but I'm just not talented," he said, which wasn't true; he sang just fine. But Laura indulged him anyway.

"You know, I would offer you singing lessons, Ryan, but I am pretty sure there's no helping your cause," she said smirking to herself. He laughed, and her smirk turned into a smile.

"Oh really," he started to sing the lyrics to, "You're so Vain" overtly off-key, she told him to stop repeatedly, but then she joined in.

"No, this is how you sing it!" she said ironically, he just continued to try and make his off-key voice louder. He enunciated stronger with each note. Until Laura couldn't stop laughing.

When they reached the driveway, she shushed him.

"Seriously stop, my parents don't know you are here." His eyes widened in surprise, or more one eye does the other one just sat swollen shut. Her parents would lose it if they found out, but he was safer at her house than at his own house.

"Okay, then. I am assuming you left with them thinking you were going to a friend's or something?" she bit her lip feeling a bit embarrassed.

"Well, I tried but... " Laura trailed off as he answered his own question.

"You didn't tell them you left, did you?" he questioned with a smile on his lips, he didn't seem phased, although I didn't think he would be.

"Exactly, I figured I'd never get the car if they knew. And they wouldn't drive me because, well, they were drunk. And I don't know, I didn't want you to walk," she said a bit quickly, he just shook his head, "sorry," she said.

"It's no problem, though I can't say that I've ever been sneaked up to a girl's room before, sounds like mission impossible." She almost laughed, this was a turn of events; here she was sneaking up a boy to her room when just the other day the boy was sneaking up on her in her room because her mom told him to.

"Well, first time for everything." Her voice cracked a bit. He just chuckled.

"You nervous?" he asked.

"You bet," she said.