Chapter 3

After the outburst, Laura decided she needed to get out of her head.

Perhaps a stroll in the neighborhood would clear her busy mind. It was stupid to go out when it was so dark, even though it was still early time wise. But she would only be out for a bit, she just needed some space.

She quickly slipped on her sneakers and grabbed her winter coat from the closet. She considered the cold December wind when she grabbed her warm pair of red mittens and her matching hat. She made sure to be quiet so her mom wouldn't hear her slip out of the house.

Her mother never noticed when Laura left like this, most likely her mom would be talking to Aunt Rachel for a long time.

Laura stepped off the porch onto the snow-covered walkway, just a light covering of snow surrounded her, not enough for boots. The falling snow, however, was coming down in big flakes, and she knew that in the morning the sidewalks would be a knee-deep and she would have to wade through the lake of snow.

The streetlight in front of her house illuminated the snowbanks along the plowed streets. It was a chilly night, even with minimal wind. The cold almost felt more comforting than the heat of her house now. It was only her out there. None of the neighbor kids were out making snowmen or forts, the street was peacefully silent.

She started to walk, only planning to walk a block or so, but instead she walked all the way to the trailhead up the road, by a park. It had been about ten minutes since she had begun walking. The wind picked up suddenly and flipped through her hair which was deflated by the snow. She had the urge to walk back as she felt a bit too exposed by herself at night. She turned back from the trailhead and started walking back home, but through the howl of the wind, she heard a familiar voice.

"You better hope nobody finds us, we've talked about this. You don't want this to get out do you, Mark?"

She glanced back at the park, Laura could have sworn she saw something through the trees, she went closer to the park entrance. Off in the distance, as she focused, she saw two guys by a truck surrounded by bushes and snowbanks. Laura recognized the boy with curly hair, it was Todd. A tall, blonde boy stood next to him, which she presumed was Mark. Laura couldn't tear her eyes away, insanely curious, she hid behind a tree and listened in.

"Elise found out I am gay, I have something of hers–but she doesn't want us to break up, she's seriously psychotic," Todd paused and frowned as he put his hand on Mark's shoulder, "But I don't have feelings for her. I love you–but I don't know what to do?" Todd said openly.

Todd was gay? Laura seemed to connect the dots instantly, Todd thought she had found out he was gay. That was what he and Elise were arguing about. This was a twist, Laura wondered what Todd had of Elise's?

"You know I am open at my school, but I am seriously worried about you, I love you too. Life sucks, could you come over tomorrow? My parents are taking my brother to the doctor," Mark said they were both oblivious to her. Laura had to get away before they caught her. She did not want to be in the middle of this, even though this is the most exciting thing that has happened in weeks, scratch that, this was the weirdest thing to happen ever.

"I can after school, pick me up then, back of the school?" Todd asked. Laura retreated quickly from her hiding place accidentally hitting her foot on the pavement. A sharp pain shot up her leg, she let out a soft grunt.

"Did you hear that?" A voice said she wasn't sure whose, but she was out of there.

Quickly she dashed out of sight going into the ditch by the side of the road. She heard the sound of her feet and the crunch of the snow. When she was out of earshot, she breathed heavily. What was she thinking? That was too close. What could she do now? What if they knew it was her?