Chapter 20

"Thank you, Laura," he replied while typing in the gate code to a small panel on the side of the gate.

Secluded behind the foliage the house almost seemed to sparkle in perfect white, it was tempting to go in, but there was time to look at the place later as she and Todd still had the function to attend. She instead admired the cast iron light ornaments affixed to the siding. She silently questioned her career decisions, Biology major, how about Business?

Laura remained waiting in the car for a long time, he had probably gotten lost on his way to his room, she figured mockingly. While she waited, she applied a bit of concealer over her dark circles and pimples she had recently acquired due to a visit from her special monthly visitor, Aunt Flow.

Finally, he came back, suit and tie adorned, the color black brought out the dark curly hair and eyes; he simply glowed.

"I don't know how I am going to compete with you," Laura said as he hopped in on the driver's side. She simultaneously ran her hands through her hair, bunching, and forming the curls as she went. Blinking nervously into the car mirror. She dusted a bit of blush over her cheeks hoping to add a bit of definition to her shades of white cardstock complexion.

"We are not competing, but thank you," he stated before she felt the car move, and carefully she applied the only mascara she owned, praying that a little would go along way and that stabbing her eye would not result in vision loss.

As they drive to the party the radio is off as it always is, and Laura felt the need for conversation, Todd obviously so focused on the road, actually speaks up pulling her from her near sleeping state.

"Hey, I am sorry we can't listen to music or anything, I just feel like it might distract me you know," he said reassuring her of her thoughts.

"That's alright, Todd. It's no big deal, you seem to be a very careful driver and I hardly drive so who am I to judge?" she said, stretching out her spine and sinking into the plush leather car seat.

"Well, to the point of insanity I am a safe driver, last year I would back out of the driveway at least twice before daring to get on the road, I haven't even come close to an accident. But it's become hard for me to drive because I am too cautious. It's because I want to avoid disappointing my parents if I ever did manage to get into a wreck, especially with this car, I was fine with the old Buick, never better, then they hand me this thing and just expect me to be okay with it," he added.

They were close to the party, the sky was a gradient that day. Blue on the horizon and grey, it thickened as it edged higher toward the atmosphere. Tall buildings fill the space between, and the roads become larger and grow in the number of lanes as they enter the city. Todd is silent and contemplates his proximity to the other cars. Laura is also silent watching the peppered blue sky, keeping to herself in the dark automobile.

When they arrived at the venue, the sky is dark, the parking lot is packed with luxury vehicles. The scent of new money and of lavish lifestyles fills the space location: perfumes, newly pressed tuxes, designer heels and handbags, even the concrete seems to glisten.

The venue is on a large hill overlooking the city, large wealthy apartments and estates surround the area. Tonight, Laura would be living in a different type of world. She jumped out of the car, crushing her small black dress shoes against the asphalt, before joining up with Todd, they linked arms awkwardly as they both stared at the giant hotel. The off white brick entrance lead into the large black marbled lobby, a regal and large Persian carpet placed neatly in the center of the hotel, they walked through the spinning glass door and the hotel came to life, it roared with conversation from end to end people walking.