CHAPTER 7 - Ms. Incurable insane

The rays sprayed by the scorching golden sun penetrated my curtains unimpeded. I snapped open my eyes and drew the curtains aside. I inhaled the fresh, warm air deeply and saw the bustling world running restlessly for something.

It had been a week since all our projects and final exams were over. And as I feared, the dreadful day came today when Jas had to leave us. I have strengthened myself for this day for the past two months. But it's more heartbreaking than I imagined.

Abruptly, I felt numb. I clutched my mobile and read the message Jas sent me last night. I'd already read it over many times, yet I couldn't hold back myself.

El! Please don't be late tomorrow. Try to be on time for the airport. I will be waiting for you there. Cheers to my last night in California! Goodnight!

I threw my mobile on my spongy little bed and got ready for the day. Once I was all done, I called Joe to pick me up. But he didn't answer. He must be driving. I surmised.

Within a flash, Joe's cardinal red Ford Fusion landed rhythmically in front of my house. He had already dumped Clara and our Romeo into his lofty, luminous sedan. Again, it's me who's the last one.

"Hey baby!" Clara gave me a high-five as I caught my seat. "So why didn't Juliet show up?" I razzed Larry, for which he blushed.

"She's sort of busy with her girls crew and outings, blah blah blah." He said in low spirits and turned the music on.

It's Morgan Wallen's Chasin' You.

Chasing you like those goodbye taillights
Headed west to anywhere out of this nowhere town.
Chasing that freedom, chasing that feeling that got gone too soon
Chasing that you and me, I only see in my rear view...

Gee whiz, what a song it is! No matter how many times I hear it, it'll always stir my heart with its strong dosage of lyrics. By echoing its tune, I let myself immerge in its pool of melancholy.

Riding at breakneck pace, Joe landed us at our destination like blazes. Los Angeles International Airport is always famous for its busy air and bevy of active people swarming around with spring in their feet.

Joe parked the car handily as we all headed forward, looking for Jas. He was waiting with all his baggage and stuff in the front area. "So finally you all decided to show up this early, huh?" Jas said it in a sarcastic tone. "Oh well! I'm not the cause of it today." I laughed. And apparently I need to justify myself since, for the first time in history, I got ready earlier.

Jas chortled and grasped his mobile to call someone. "Where are you?" He popped the question. I speculated it was Susan since I could hear her voice over the phone from the other side. "Your guess is right, El." Jas clarified as he hung up the phone. I was shell-shocked.

What man! When did he learn to read minds?

"You're really a jerk!" I smirked at him. "Okay, stop your stupid talks. I have something for you, Jas." Larry grabbed something from his bag. It was a square-shaped box compactly wrapped in a flower-printed gift sheet. It might be a watch. I guessed.

"You're right again." Jas raised his eyebrows as he unwrapped it and found a watch lying safely in it, like a nucleus resting in the middle of an atom.

Jeez, he can't do that again!

"Stop doing this, Jas." I punched him in the arm. "Ouch! When did you begin being so rude?" He feigned a look of pain. He looks so cute when he makes up his face like a little child.