Prologue

The sky was so dark and deep. It was more fierce than any other day. Stars started blinking here and there. It was so realistic. I even believed for a moment that the sky was imparting something to me.

"I am sorry." His hoarse voice interrupted my communication with the sky.

I should be the dumbest girl in the entire state of California. The person I have been looking for stayed right in front of my eyes, yet I slipped him right away.

But I no longer worry about that. I have something worse waiting to grieve for.

"No, you shouldn't. It's totally my fault." I said putting up every left over strength.

It's my misfortune too.

Tears welled up. I felt a sudden choke in my throat, the initial stage of breaking down.

No, you shouldn't. Not here. At least not in front of him. I convinced myself.

In my whole life, I have never imagined a situation like this. Though the love of my life was in sight of my eyes, I couldn't feel him. I couldn't hold him.

"You should know this. You deserve to know how much I love you. My whole life, I dreamed of having someone like you. While I thought I was reliving my dreams, fate had my wings cut off." I managed to spit it somehow.

"You know, love has this wondrous habit of knocking us down at the least expected time."

He was right. It knocked me down at the very moment I saw him. I am left with no one to revive now.

Silence surrounded us for a while.

Promptly, I sensed the letter in my pocket.

Letters! Yes, it's where everything began.

But probably this one might be the last.

My girl,

I don't know whether someone else's in your heart, or you are going through something very heartbreaking, or you don't like me at all. Whatever it is, it's you in all my heart. Every time I see the sky, I can visualize how the stars group up to portray this charming face of yours. Every time I close my eyes, I can feel you. I can feel you holding my hand. I can sense the warmth around you. The moment I open my eyes, you are no longer in my sight. I owe you no more. That reality hit me hard.

I always wonder why I have fallen so deeply for you. But you hold the answer. You are the answer.

I'll wait for you. Don't break my heart, El. It can't cope up this time.

Waiting for you,
Enrytt.

It read.

Though the letter was written by him, it didn't put a smile on my lips this time. It didn't give that glimpse of joy it used to give before.

"Maybe our parallel paths never intersect." He struggled, saying.

And that's when I heard my heart tearing into bits.