Chapter 5:

"I-I am Mark Lee, a childhood friend of the prince."

Mark stutters in complete nervousness while Jaemin hides behind Mark. Even if Mark was completely scared of the elf in front of him, it didn't stop him from trying to protect Jaemin. Now, he treats Jaemin as his friend because Jaemin was too nice to help him find the palace.

"Why are you here?"
"... I promised Haechan that I'll come back one day and... t-that day is today."
"... You know that you'll get lost here with your friend, right? I think I should guide all the ways around this leafy, moist place."
"... And why do you think that I should trust you?"
"Because I know exactly why this place was abandoned."

~

"You have a visitor, your highness."

Jeno says as Haechan got up from his bed, frowning and wondering how does he have a visitor when he's been locked up and distanced from the real world.

"Who is it, Jeno?"
"A man named Mark Lee."

Haechan frowned, trying to remember who that "Mark Lee" visitor was. Due to the lack of emotions, he couldn't exactly remember memories he had in the past because he doesn't know what emotions were there. He doesn't feel any type of emotion that was once there.

Therefore, he thinks the name "Mark Lee" was familiar but he doesn't remember who he is at all.

"... Was he really a visitor?"
"He's a persistent one, your highness."

Haechan sighed when he heard Jeno describe Mark "persistent". Mark was currently waiting outside with Jaemin since Renjun already left them alone when they reached their destination. Due to Mark's inability to wait, he entered the abandoned palace without any type of permission from Jeno or anyone who lived in that place at all.

Jaemin was terrified since the place was a bit "creepy" and dark.

"Mark."
"..."
"Hey, Mark. I think we should-"
"Shhh! Someone might hear us!"

Mark whispered as Jaemin scratched the back of his head while Mark looked around the palace, protecting Jaemin at the same time. Disturbing words and sentences were written on the walls. The sentences came off very blank and aggressive to Mark.

"Did Haechan... write this?"

Mark asks himself as he turns around to see Jeno in front of him.

"You're persistent, aren't you?"
"JAEMIN, WE HAVE TO GO."

Mark called Jaemin but it was too late. The two of them were already locked inside the palace as Jeno sighs, annoyed at the two of them. Haechan was still in his bedroom, trying to really remember who Mark was.

That was until he heard Mark yell at a certain "Jaemin".

"Ugh. Now, I have to go downstairs."

Haechan sighs, rolling his eyes as he walks out of his bedroom.

"What happened to Haechan?!"
"I already told you, he has a curse-"
"Where is he?!"
"Ugh! You're really annoying, aren't you?!"

Jeno yells back at Mark as he pulls out the sword he uses for protecting Haechan and decides to use it against Mark. Haechan's eyes widened at what Jeno was about to do to Mark. He ran downstairs and shielded Mark with his arm against the sword.

To Haechan's surprise, he didn't even bleed from the blade as he accidentally formed a shield made of ice that was attached to his arm.

"Your highness-"
"Enough with this nonsense..."

Haechan says as Jeno puts the sword back into its case, feeling guilty. Haechan turns around to see Mark as this wave of nostalgia just went right into his face. Of course, he didn't know what he was feeling because he's used to not feeling anything at all.

"What gives you the right to intrude my palace?"
"... I apologize-"
"Just so you know I'm not afraid to kill you, young man. Who are you? And what are you doing here?"
"My name is Mark Lee... I was once your friend. I had a promise to you that I'll come back when I'm old enough. Now, I'm here... I'm back, Haechan... just like what I promised you ten years ago."

Haechan stayed silent. Something about Mark's eyes distracted him from what was happening. To get rid of this unusual feeling, Haechan scoffed.

"... Do you remember me, Haechan?"
"I don't."

Haechan turns to look at Jeno, he was about to ask him a favor.

"Jeno?"
"Yes, your highness?"
"Lock them up, talk to them every once in a while, bring them food every two hours, and don't let them out unless I tell you. Understand?"
"Yes, your highness."

Jeno says as he drags Jaemin and Mark with his incredible strength. Mark couldn't even move the opposite way but he can yell Haechan's name every time they get farther. Jaemin was disappointed.

All Jaemin wanted to do was get educated with new information about herbs and medication... and he ended up being locked in a dungeon.

"Damn it, Mark. ALL I WANTED WAS NEW HERBS-"
"Well, I'm sorry! You're the one who offered help!"

Jeno sighs at their conversation before locking the gate.

"Don't do anything that can put danger to yourselves. This place is still very dangerous no matter how magical it is."

Jeno says as he locks the gate with all his strength. Jaemin sighs while he leaned on the wall, sitting on the floor and thinking about how they can escape. Mark, however, had different thoughts.

A normal criminal who takes people hostage would just torture the person until they get the answer they want. Haechan, however, told Jeno to talk to them and bring them food every two hours to not let them feel like they're... dying. Even Jeno told Mark and Jaemin not to go out because it's "dangerous" outside.

What could've been Haechan's actual plan?

Those thoughts circulated around Mark's head.

"Damn it. Damn it. Damn it-"
"I think they don't want us dead..."
"... What makes you think that they don't want us dead, Mark? We're literally CAPTIVES-"
"Haechan has a plan... I just don't know what it is yet but I think it's for... the better?"
"... Think what you want to think. I'll try to plan our escape in this... dungeon."