birthday

jaleah's perspective

"Girl, I'm so tired. Between working all week and trying to keep up with this school work, I need this weekend to myself. I'm so happy to have a little break." I complain to my roommate, Alexis, as I pack up my textbooks. We spent the last few hours studying in the library together.

"Got anything planned for your birthday?" She asks.

"Nah. I never really celebrate. I think I'm gonna hang with Izzy."

"Ooh did he ask you to be his girlfriend yet?"

I place my textbooks in my backpack and put my hoodie back on. Fall weather is slowly approaching and honestly, I'm here for it. I love fall.

"I told you we're just friends." I blush. "I mean I like him but I'm not getting my hopes up."

I've been in school for a few weeks now and loving it, but it's a lot. I have a full load of classes, I work in the school bookstore for as many hours as I can get a week, and I still try to juggle having a social life. I hang out with Izzy as much as possible and my roommates have been dragging me out to parties and such. I'm finally opening up more and being free and I love it. I just had to break away from my parents' perception of life.

Izzy helped me move into my dorm since I haven't been speaking to my parents much, plus my parents were moving into their separate apartments so they didn't have the time for me, I'm guessing. But, I'm appreciative for having Izzy in my life and for my roommates. They all keep me happy and grounded and focused on the good.

"Havent y'all been dating for like months?" Alexis asks.

"We've been hanging out since like June. So it's only been about 3 months." Saying that out loud is really crazy. I didn't realize how long we've been hanging out and getting closer. And not once has he pressured me to do anything with him. I think I may be falling for this boy.

"Y'all are so cute. I wish I could find me a hood nigga that know how to treat me right. You're lucky."

"That's not all there is to him. He's sweet, he has ambition, and he really likes to take care of those he loves. I should hook you up with one of his friends."

"Wait, you said he takes care of those he loves and he's always tryna take care of you so do you think he loves you?"

"Maybe? I don't know."

Alexis and I continue our walk back to our dorm, chatting about life, love and boys. She reminds me so much of my sister sometimes and I really am glad to have met her. It's like the Universe sent her my way to make sure I knew my sister would always be with me or something.

We get back to the dorm and I immediately b-line to the kitchen to grab some snacks. I didn't eat all day so I'm literally starving. I grab some strawberry applesauce, mini muffins and a bottle of water before going into my bedroom.

I open the door, turn on the light and almost jump out of my skin when I see Israel sitting at my desk. Him and Alexis both laugh at me when I jump.

"Boy, you almost made me curse! What are you doing here?!" I ask. I drop my backpack next to my desk and put my snacks down before giving him a hug.

"I wanted to surprise you. Somebody is turning 18 tomorrow." He smiles, pulling me into his lap. "White girl let me in."

White girl is what Izzy calls one of our roommates. He comes over so much that he's built friendships with all of my roommates and I love that. He really tries to be apart of my life.

"What you had plans or something?"

"Actually, I do. I got us a hotel room for the weekend and I made plans for us for tomorrow and Sunday." He smiles and licks his lips, making me melt inside.

"You're the best."

"Go ahead and pack a bag so we can go." He tells me.

"Ok, ok!" I get up and quickly throw together an overnight bag while Izzy and Alexis talk. They're the 2 people closest to me right now so I'm extremely happy that they're friendly.

After I pack my bag, Izzy takes us over to the hotel for the weekend. It's a super nice hotel right by the water so it has a beautiful view. He already had the room set up with rose petals all over the bed and floor, happy birthday balloons on the bed and a few gift bags on the nightstand next to the bed. This makes me want to cry happy tears. He really cares about me.

But, I'm kind of scared. I've only spent the night with Izzy once and we didn't do anything then but now is different. He paid for this gorgeous room, planned an entire weekend around me, and has been treating me really well since we've started talking. What if he expects sex? Am I ready for that? Am I ready to lose my virginity to him?

My entire life I wanted to wait for marriage and be a good Christian woman, but now that my whole world has been flipped upside down, I don't think that's what I want to do. But I do know that I want my first time to be with someone special, whom I love and will be with for a while. I just don't want to do it on a whim and regret it later.

"How do you like it?" Izzy asks me.

"I love it."

"I got something for you. Just one of your gifts." He hands me one of the smaller gift bags. "But promise me you won't open the other gifts until I tell you to. I took time to plan all of this out. I want it to be perfect." He anxiously says.

"Ok." I dig into the gift bag and pull out a necklace box. I open it and to my surprise, it's a necklace with a picture of my sister and I on it. I start tearing up and hug Israel tightly. He hugs me back and wipes my tears when we pull away.

"Let me put it on you." I hand him the necklace and turn around. He drapes the necklace on my chest and fasten it behind my neck, then I turn around and hug him again.

"Thank you so much baby."

"Anything for you."

"Can I tell you something?" I nervously ask him.

"Wassup?"

"I love you, Israel."

"Jaleah."

"What?"

"I love you too. That's why I want you to be my girlfriend."

"You're asking me to be your girlfriend?"

"Yes, Jay." He chuckles. "Will you be my girlfriend?"

"Yes!" I excitedly respond. We hug again before going in for a kiss. I'm so happy right now.