i got you. i promise.

jaleah's perspective

"Are y'all like dating now or something?" Sarah asks as we clean up the store for the night.

"No. We're still just friends." I respond.

"I don't know why you lying to yourself, Jaleah. You like this boy and it's okay to like boys and to date. You're almost 18, you're about to go to college, and you have played by the rules your entire life. It's okay to break them once or twice."

I don't respond. She's right, and I've told myself this time and time again, but I can't bring myself to fully let my walls down for him. What if he hurts me? What if this is all just a test? What if he's not the one and I'm just wasting my time?

I like spending time with Israel. He just makes me feel good. But, keeping it as a friendship just may be the way to go.

After we finish cleaning, Sarah locks the store up, we hug and go our separate ways. I walk down the street to Israel's car and get into the passenger seat. I sigh as I close the door and try to get comfortable in the leather seat.

"Long day?" Israel asks.

"Yeah, for some reason it was super busy today. My feet and my back hurt." I explain.

"Want me to give you a massage?" He jokes.

"Orrrrr, I could get myself a massage. Splurge a little. I just have to wait until pay day."

"Where you be getting massages at?" He asks as he pulls out of the parking spot.

"I never got one before. I need to do some research."

Izzy nods in agreement and turns his music up a little. He puts his hand on my thigh as he drives. I blush a little but look out of the window at the city so he couldn't see my face.

After a few minutes of driving, Israel pulls up in front of my house. I gather my phone and keys and try to hurry out of the car, but he gently grabs my arm. "You fronting on me now?"

A smile creeps onto my face as I turn back around to face Izzy. I try to hide my smile but to no avail. I give him a peck on the lips, but then go in for a little longer of a kiss. It feels a little awkward but also comforting. He makes me so nervous sometimes.

I pull away and give him a hug before getting out of the car. I could feel him watching me walk away, but I don't turn to look back at him. I go into the house and quickly go up into my bedroom and close and lock my door to avoid my parents.

They've been packing up the house, sleeping separately, and fighting more openly now and I hate it. I try my best to go to work as much as possible and when I'm not at work, I'm in my room, in my own world.

I go and take a quick shower, do my skincare routine and then hurry back into my room to get dressed. As soon as I get back in my room, my phone starts to ring. Israel's name appears on the screen and I, of course, answer the phone and put it on speaker.