Chapter 13

Two days later Charlie was knocking on my mom’s apartment door. He had already been home to surprise his mom and gave her some story about needing some time off work. Domingo couldn’t come, he couldn’t get the time off work as it wasn’t school holidays and he also had Emily to look after.

“Right ok so what’s the plan?” He asked making himself comfortable on my bed.

“I don’t know Charlie that’s why I asked you for help, do we tell your mom and dad?”

“No not yet, maybe I could have a word with him first and see if I can change his mind.”

“Ok, well in that case maybe we should go now I really didn’t leave him in a very good state and I haven’t checked on him since.”

“Ok let’s go then.” He looked at me worried.

We both walked quickly and silently to my apartment. I opened the door and let Charlie in, I walked from room to room but Elliot wasn’t there so I moved to the one room where I knew he would be. I was wrong, the kitchen was empty. Well except for all of the empty liquor bottles that littered the benches and table, it was like he had finished off the last little bits off every bottle we owned.

Panicking now I checked every room again but the apartment was empty, there was no clothes missing or anything like that so he must just have gone out. I wasn’t hopeful enough to think that he had gone to the therapist or anything like that but I had no idea where else he could be? Unless….the bar.

“Come on I think I know where he will be.” I said grabbing Charlie’s arm.

I led Charlie to the bar a few blocks down where all of this trouble had begun, he looked at me in shock when I stopped outside of the seedy looking bar.

“He must have thought I’d never dream of looking for him in a place like this.” I said a little embarrassed.

 “He’d have been right then, the shit!” Charlie snapped.

I pushed the door and walked in, looking around for Elliot but I couldn’t see him. Charlie walked to the bar and began asking the barman if he had seen Elliot today, but he shook his head no.

“I don’t know where else he would go Charlie! We could try the therapist, Elliot said he would change maybe he was serious?”

“I am sorry Lucas but did you see your apartment? He wasn’t going to a therapist he’s probably passed out drunk somewhere, the best thing for us to do now is go back and wait for him to come home. If he doesn’t come back by morning then we can call the cops.”

“Charlie he could get mugged, attacked, anything we can’t just let him wander around all night!”

“We have no choice Lucas, we have no idea where he is. Come on I’ll take you home, he might already be back.”

When we got back to the apartment it was still empty but Charlie convinced me it was still early and he could still come home before dark. I couldn’t stop pacing the room, I left him and I knew something like this would happen. We should be ringing the police, calling the hospitals, walking the streets, I don’t know but anything seemed better than just sitting around.