25. The Safe Space

J~R

"The Witness Protection Programme?" She looked at me with wide eyes, the corner of her mouth turning upwards in disbelief.

I nodded curtly, lips pursed so she knew I wasn't playing around. "Yes detective. Wit-Pro."

Roll credits.

"You have got to be kidding me I-" She ran a hand through her bob, ruffling a few strands. "In all my years in the force and in training, I've never ever heard of such a strategy actually being implemented I, I'm in shock, thats all."

"You're in shock? How do you think we felt detective, our whole lives got flipped upside down." I allowed myself to chuckle lightly. This whole thing felt crazy yet it was good to talk about it with someone other than Lisa, to get if off my chest, finally. The detective looked at me with a glimmer in her eye, as if seeing me for the first time. She flipped to a blank page in her notebook, leaning forwards intently.

"So why don't we start from the beginning. The very beginning this time, your name, where you come from, that way we can start to pierce things together much more accurately."

I took a deep breath. Nothing I say from this point on can be taken back, and I'm increasingly aware of the tape recorder sat just one meter in front of me.

"Well Detective, my-"

"You can call me Jeongyeon." She smiled at me, like actually smiled. Maybe cops weren't so bad after all.

"Okay, Jeongyeon, err, well my name is Jennie Kim, I'm 24 years old and I'm from Pine Hill, Turnbank. Oh and the woman you're looking for, my girlfriend, her name is Lalisa Manoban, she's 23. We've both spent the best part of 3 months living under the security of the Witness Protection Programme."

--------------------

Jeongyeon assured me that all of the information I'd provided her was crucial to the case as she handed me her business card and vowed to keep in touch. She's also going to get in contact with the precinct back home to let them know that the status of mine and Lisa's identity is compromised, but I don't really care about that anymore, I just need my other half safely back in my arms. Once getting the all clear from Jeongyeon that there's not really much need to keep things quiet anymore, my next order of business was finding Rosie and Jisoo, and coming out to them. Well not coming out, out, but you know, letting them know who I truly was. Based on past experiences, I'd take coming out as a lesbian over coming out as an impostor any day.

I was adding Jeongyeon's number into my contact list as I tried to find my way back to the kitchen. This place was huge so I'm pretty convinced I'd been walking around in circles anyway.

"Hey, do'you need help?" A girl in a bunny rabbit onesie was holding her cell phone in one hand and a popsicle in another despite it being the dead of winter. She had beautiful features and kind eyes, no doubt she's a relative of Jisoo's.

"Yeah, thanks. I'm looking for Jisoo or Rosie. Both of them would be great actually."

"Sure thing, follow me." As we walked down the halls, I noticed that the outside seemed a lot more quiet and settled down. Not as many cops were at the front entrance and I knew the detectives had left already, I was one of the last interviewee's of the night. A couple of people in maid uniforms scurried past but apart from that, it was pretty clear that everyone was exhausted, with most family members turning in early for the night, regardless of it being the 25th.

"This was a Christmas we certainly won't forget in a while right?"

She scoffed, biting straight into her popsicle with teeth. Wow, fearless. "Yeah,you could say that again."