5. The ID's

Lisa
I woke up when the sunlight that crept through the crack in the blinds made its way across my face, stirring me awake. A moment of panic washed over me as I took in my unfamiliar surroundings before everything came rushing back to me.

The corner store.
The shootings.
Jennie.
The WPP.

Shit.

As I stretched and ran my fingers through my messy bangs, I decided to check out the apartment in the daylight. Out in the hallway I was met with silence, guess Jennie must still be asleep. I rummaged the bathroom cabinets for toothpaste, a toothbrush, towels, soap. I found nothing. I suppose we'll have to go shopping later, we didn't even have food in the fridge or plates to eat from. I bit my lip hard as i tried to keep tears at bay, but this whole fucked up mess has been making my emotions a lot harder to control.
I miss my cats. I miss my flat. Even though this place is beautiful, and way out of my usual price range,all i want more than all of this is to be able to go back home.
I was interrupted from my anxieties by a sharp knock on the front door.

"Afternoon Miss Manoban."

"Hi, and please, just Lisa is fine."
I gave the detective a tight lipped smile as I made room for him to enter.
"Did you get a good nights sleep?"
"Mmm, tried to."
"That's great."
I watched him awkwardly at the other end of the dining table as he began to pull out various documents and folders from his briefcase.

"Shouldn't I wake Jennie?" I realised how unsettled I suddenly felt without her here, anything the detective had to say should really be discussed with both of us present.
He gave a curt nod. 
"Yes please Lisa, then we can get started right away."
"Okay then, I'll be right back."

Jen

After getting over the initial embarrassment of Lisa having to wake me up at noon and her having witnessing the mess that is Jennie Kim without a shower in more than 24 hours, I reluctantly followed her into the dining area where, low and behold, the detective was sat there with some very serious looking papers spread out in front of him.

"Afternoon Ms Kim."

I offered him a small nod in reply as I slumped into the seat next to Lisa on the dining table. How did she look this good after waking up? Its unfair. We're both still in the same clothes from last night, but somehow she just manages to pull off this rugged yet sexy look effortlessly.

The detective cleared his throat as he pushed  2 small folders in front of each of us.

"Read through the information enclosed in these files thoroughly. The details of your new identities are inside along with documentations explaining your new jobs, bank accounts, names etc. Everything you'll need to start afresh for the time being."

Lisa started to open her folder, so I did the same. The first thing I noticed was the little green card sat at the top of the pile. It had a photo of me on the front, the one they had hastily taken last night at the police station, much to my dismay. But on closer inspection, I realised that they'd edited the information on it to give me a brand new ID. First of all, my birthday was now August 24th instead of January 16th, and more noticeably, My name wasn't Jennie Kim the third anymore, I was now-

"Ruby Jaymes? Seriously, that's the best pseudo-name you guys came up with?" I scrutinized my new ID card with distaste, before trying to sneak a glance at Lisa's.

"Hey, what about you, what's your new-"

She wriggled violently to the left. "No way,if you think your name is stupid, you're gonna piss yourself laughing at mine." Nevertheless,Lisa groaned whilst rolling her eyes as she reluctantly slid her new ID over to me anyway.

I tried my best to contain my snort, I didn't want to make her feel any worse than she probably did.

"Pranpriya Brüeschweiler." I read out slowly. "Mmmm, exotic."

Lisa peeked at me through the gaps in her fingers as a tiny smile grew on her lips. "No,not exotic, it's silly. Sounds super made up too, like what country am I even meant to be from?"

"Switzerland." The detective spoke up suddenly, making us jump slightly. In ode of all that was happening, I kinda forgot he was still here.

Of course she noticed my little frightened jump as we made eye contact, bursting into raucous laughter. This had definitely been a strange, if not THE strangest predicament I'd ever been in in my life...but I couldn't help thinking how lucky I was that at least I had Lisa to share it with.

Lisa ~ Pranpriya

The detective left, and soon after, Jennie and I started writing a list on all the things we would need to buy from the store, like food and basic toiletries. Also enclosed in the files were the keys to the car that had been left for me and Jennie, along with a card for us to use for spending. We were warned not to go over the $10,000 limit, which I thought was more than enough to live off for up to three months considering we wouldn't have to pay for rent, WiFi, gas or electricity, but Jennie, of course had her qualms about it. We decided to order a very late breakfast (it was already 3 in the afternoon), and then head downstairs to the parking garage to test out our new vehicle. Luckily we both had driving licences, even though I couldn't afford my own car right now on my independent photographers salary, but oh well. I tended to choose to pour my savings into either travelling back to Thailand every once in a while, or my cats.

"Hey, should we get coral throw pillows, or peach?"

I'd been leaning against the shopping cart handles for the past 10 minutes as I watched Jennie throw everything and anything that looked remotely cute and homely into the cart. I had to repeatedly remind her that this was not our money to spend so lucratively (or technically our apartment) but it got to the point were she was having to much fun that I just let her take the lead, I preferred it when she was in control anyway, it suited her.

"Err, i don't know, the peach ones I guess." I stifled a yawn.

"I knew you had taste Pranpriya." She smirked as she threw both colored cushions into the cart anyway.

"Please don't call me that Jennie." I followed behind her as I pushed the trolley, which was now full to the brim with unnecessary home wear.

"But I'm legally obliged to Priya. Besides, I don't know who 'Jennie' is, My name is Ruby-Jaymes."

I rolled my eyes. "It's just 'Ruby', Jaymes is your surname." I watched as she eyed the hand-soaps, seemingly stuck between lavender scent and honeysuckle.

"Whatever Pranpriya." She chucked both soaps into the cart. "Now I don't know about you, but I am in desperate need for a whole new wardrobe." She shot me a piercing look over her shoulder. "You coming slowcoach?"

Something told me living with Jen- sorry- Ruby Jaymes, was going to be a whole different kind of adventure.