4. The Apartment

Lisa

"The Witness Protection Programme."

I had to take a seat as it became apparent that my knee's were going to give out from under me. Squeezing my eyes, I tried to make sense of this situation as the officer went over the details of the pamphlet, but by this point, all I wanted to be was to be cuddled up on my sofa surrounded by cats and my best friend. Although apparently, it would be a while until I was granted that freedom, approximately a whole-

"3 MONTHS? At the least? You have got to be shitting me!"

Jennie exclaimed in disbelief as she flipped through the WPP leaflet, with wide eyes and red cheeks. I lent back in my chair and watched her try to persuade the cop to come to an alternative solution, but I knew there was no way they were gonna change their minds. 

"Please, Sir, maybe we can wage a deal with the perpetrators next time we see them? Offer them money in lieu of our silence? Or maybe we can just up our personal security. Right Lisa?"

She regarded me, her stare full of panic and desperation, but all I could offer her back was a meek shrug that said something in the way of, 'don't look at me,we're already royally fucked'.

"Yes. It'll be fine, I'll just pay for an increase in my personal security, heck, I'll even fork out the same treatment for Lisa too, anything if it means our lives can get back to normal. Juseyo Officer Namjoon Oppa, reconsider."

The small Korean batted her eyelashes, and I must say,I was impressed at her attempt, but deep down I was certain her groveling wouldn't change the fact that our lives were in danger and the police were only following procedure by asserting us into this programme.

Reluctantly I picked up the WPP handbook, and tried to follow along, as the cop explained how our lives were going to map out for 3 months, more or less,at the least......

Jen

The next half hour went by in a blur as the cop explained what going though the process of wit-pro would actually entail for Lisa and I. I tried to listen, I really did, but the urge to rip my hair out and cry out in rebellion was much greater...

"So just to reiterate, Jennie and I have to move to another town, together, with no real telling of when we'll be able to resume life as normal?"

Lisa's cheeks were scarlet and she had 2 perfectly sculpted eyebrows furrowed in concentration as she awaited the cops response.

"That is correct Miss Manoban. Understand this is with both of your best interests at heart, we only resort to this programme when our citizens are at the upmost level of risk."

We shared a quick, but anxious glance at one another, before averting our attention back to him.

"But do not fret, the two of you are entitled to 2 phone calls before we begin the process. During said calls, you must not disclose that you are part of the WPP. That's kinda the first and most obvious rule, never tell another soul about your involvement with the WPP. That only enhances your risk of being exposed, found and killed."

I couldn't contain my frustration.
"Well then how are we meant to tell our friends  what the hell's happening to us? They just have to accept we're going away without so much as a warning? For up to 3 months or more, no less?"

"Miss Kim, if you read through Page 4, subsection 7:2 in the WPP pamphlet, it gives a clear outline of how your conversations should go, what you can and can't include for example. I'm sure you'll be able to handle it just fine."