Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Brute!

A slew of good mornings filled the air as I made my way to the conference room. I would return a nod in normal circumstances but I was in a hurry, my meeting was due in five minutes and I hate being late.

Paanong hindi? My bodyguard insisted on going through the conference room beforehand, as well as check every single person that would be part of the meeting. He asked—no, he forced me to wait with Ester inside my office until he gets back and take us there.

He's nuts. No one would dare cause chaos in this office. The security in this building was also top notch, even visitors had to undergo so much checking before allowed to go up kaya siguradong safe sa loob nito.

Besides, it's not like someone was after me, or I was in grave danger. I know majority of the employees weren't fond of me, but I don't think they'd do something that stupid. Praning lang talaga ang pamilya ko para bigyan pa ako ng bodyguard.

I huffed in annoyance. This is how I will live my life now? With a brooding bodyguard who has his ways on everything? I raised my brow. Not a chance.

Hinarap ko si Jordan bago kami makapasok sa conference room. Hindi man lang siya nagulat sa bigla kong paghinto at pagharap, his face was still stoic.

"It's your time off til three in the afternoon, or for the whole day if you'd like," I do hope so "You're free to go wherever."

His forehead creased "Bakit, Miss Irene?"

"I don't need you staring at the crown of my head inside the conference room for God knows how long. Besides, nacheck mo naman na ang loob, hindi ba? Pati ang mga taong makakasama ko? I believe that's enough."

"Hindi. Sasama ako sa loob. Ako ang bodyguard mo, kung nasaan ka, nandoon ako."

I squinted my eyes on him "It's not a request, Ortega. Either you stay here outside, or you're to leave. You're clearly invading my workspace."

"Hindi ko kailangang mamili, gagawin ko ang ipinagutos sa akin," he got his phone from his inner jacket pocket without breaking eye contact "O gusto mo bang sabihin sa Daddy mo ang kagustuhan mo?"

I clenched my fist and counted to ten. You can't erupt, Irene. Not where many could see.

"Miss Irene, sorry, pero magteten o'clock na po. You need to be inside." rinig kong bulong sa akin ni Ester sa gilid.

"Fine. I'll add this to the list we need to talk about later, Mr. Ortega," I said through gritted teeth and turned away.

Keep your cool, keep your cool. Hinawi ko ang buhok ko kasabay ng pagbuntong hininga. I proceeded to open the double doors to the conference room where everyone's already seated. They knew I'm not very forgiving on tardiness, at buti na lang saktong 10AM nang pumasok ako.

The chattering died down as I walked to the head of the long table and sat, with Ester filling the seat on my left and Jordan standing behind me, his hands clasped on his back. Pinigilan kong mainis dahil wala namang maitutulong iyon.

I was aware that they were staring at me and Jordan, malamang ay nagtataka sila kung sino ba siya at bakit siya kasama rito. Guess I'll have to introduce him, then.

"Good morning, everyone. Apologies for the delay." iminuwestra ko si Jordan "I'm sure you've met my bodyguard, Mr. Jordan Ortega, when he ID'd all of you—again, my apologies. You'll be seeing a lot of him in the next days so it would be nice to get acquainted."

Kita ko sa gilid ng mga mata ko ang pagtango ni Jordan sa mga empleyadong nakaupo. No smile, no anything. It's like his face was born stoic.

Before the murmurs even begin, I opened the folder in front of me "Shall we start?"