AMMG ~32~

She giggled as she heard the tones of a violin, flute and harmonica. It had become a ritual in the evening at the inn to have a little merriment, even it was just for the girls who came in. She laughed again as she looked outside the window and saw Henry tending to some man's horse, bent over it's front hoof examining the shoe. He'd refused to be in the presence of her Father, as he'd said that he'd not appreciate the apology so quickly and thus was better to let him cool off, and had become resident vet accidentally when he'd gone to tend his own horses outside. The nearest farrier, who was also a Veterinarian was very ill, and those passing through the town with lame horses had been at their wits end.

Rosalie had admired his way with the animals from a distance. He was calm, reserved and kind with those who needed soothing, but a few bargy stallions had shown his commanding side. She had been amazed when he'd grabbed the rope from a man almost being trampled by his rearing horse and promptly flicked the rope at the Stallion's hindquarters. The animal had responded instantly by circling around him at the end of his rope at a trot. As soon as the horse had visibly relaxed, head lowered and gently chewing its jaw, Henry had allowed the beast to stop. It'd walked straight over to him and stood obediently as its bridle was put back on and behaved perfectly. Everyone had been amazed, but Henry had just taken the praise humbly.

"Still gazing at the handsome, horse tamer? I'm sure there's some other things he'd tame too-"

Rosalie stared at her friend who had a twinkle in her eye. She sat down next to her in the little circle of chairs.

"Lucy-"

"I was talking about your hair. It's a mess!"

"I'm only teasing you fusspot. He's the one isn't he? Your future husband. The one you talked about. You said he was arrogant and bossy, but he seems to be one mighty fine lad in my opinion-"

She broke off as Rosalie elbowed her friend in the side and they both started giggling as the music changed to a fast, merry tune.

A masculine voice broke their giggles. "I hope you are talking about me."

They looked up startled and blushing into Henry's amused face. His right eyebrow was raised in an endearing way, the gentle smell of hay warming the air. Rosalie itched to try to raise her own eyebrow, but she'd never managed to do it without looking like she had a considerable face tic. At his face, Lucy and her dissolved into giggles again.

A country dance played and Rosalie's eyes lit up.

"You look happy?" Lucy said.

"It's just," she laughed, "I expected you to play bagpipes the first time I heard it, and it's just funny that I know some of these dances from home."

"Well," Henry cut in, "I suppose I ought to ask you ladies to dance with me."

He pretended to pick up dance cards and sign them from around their wrists, leaving Lucy giggling and Rosalie snorting with laughter.

Rosalie momentarily faulted, "Oh do enjoy your dance with Lucy, Your Grace."

Both stared at her quizzically at her coolness, as the crowd dancing stomped their feet twice in time to the beat and carried on twirling around the makeshift floor. Her eyes unexpectedly swam with tears and she brushed them away furiously as they exchanged glances. There was no time for self pity on the fact she was never to dance again. She needed to stop being selfish, but she couldn't help the pang that, if Henry did marry her, they'd never dance together. A thought suddenly struck her, she should break of the engagement. It was fine for a woman to do it, the man would not be seen badly, and it wasn't not like she'd get married now anyway, she thought miserably. She'd just come to like Henry too much, especially just recently, and the thought of him having to be lumped with someone like her but a lump to her own throat.

With a wash of sadness, she watched as Henry's hand covered her own lying on the table. It was trembling, but the warmth from his own relaxed it. He bent down, put his hand around her waist and pulled so she had one arm around Lucy's waist, the other's around Henry's. With the load spared, her balance meant she could stand.

Henry grinned and pulled the little group to the makeshift dancefloor, done by shoving the ale tables to the side of the room. Surprisingly, as he started to career them haphazardly around the floor in time to the slow, but merry tune, she felt her heart tug a little at the thoughtful gesture and looked into his grinning face. No-one could tell he was a Duke, they'd made sure nobody knew their identities anyway, only Lucy and Millie, but all she saw was a dashing young man who she'd seen glimpses of. Bravery, arrogance, kindness, humbleness, anger, righteousness, all tributes that made Henry, Henry. She'd known him for a short while, the not short in most marriage courting terms, but the unbelievable care he'd shown to her, the lengths he went, she was starting to steel herself for the rejection that would ultimately come when she broke of the engagement. The Ton was no longer of any importance to her, and with her dowry she could set herself up somewhere like here and create a caring establishment for hurt young women. Henry would be a patron also, she just knew it, the goodness of his heart would ensure it. Her Father would probably not be understanding, but her leg would keep her from society anyway, and when she was one and twenty she had access to her accounts anyway if she hadn't convinced him by then.

The music speed up, and so did Henry. Lucy was flushed and had a sheen that meant her face glowed. Henry was still smiling, laughing at the crowd who'd stopped dancing, making way for them and were clapping them along.

It wasn't hard to see that he was only two and twenty from here, his eyes, sometimes cold and harsh were alight with boyish humour and light.

The pang only got worse.

She crumpled, as the music stopped with the whole inn stomping, even the cook was out from the kitchen clapping them along.

She leaned her head towards Henry's ear, "I need to speak with you, privately."

Henry let go of Lucy, as she muttered an excuse about needing to fill up mugs, and lifted Rosalie bridal style, ignoring the wolf whistles, and set her down in a discreet corner onto a comfortable armchair.

Rosalie was only half aware that her Father had still not appeared from his room, and would be frowning at her actions, yet again. But it needed to be done.

His eyes, warm with concern flicked around her face and down her body. "I'm sorry, did I hurt you? I knew you'd like to dance, and frankly I was having the most fun since I dropped a rat on Mrs Perkins' dramatic fruit hat-"

"I 'm going to break up our betrothal contract." She blurted.