AMMG ~8~

There were so many things to consider. The announcement in the paper, the reaction from those around her who would believe there was a scandal.

Then, more simple, self centred things. Did he think her not pretty? She was to marry him, so if he didn't like her, they weren't going to get along. She was not a push around like most women of the ton. Her Father had always told her to stand up for her beliefs, that being a woman did not mean she was inferior in any way, even if many thought that.

She was not going to pushed around by this strange man who threatened her with death. She wasn't scared of him, she knew her Father knew vaguely who he was, and if he was connected to danger in any way, the Duke would not let his precious daughter be any where near him in any way possible.

What was she going to wear to her wedding? Was white even fashionable for marriages these days?

What type of neck? Box? Lower than normal?

Was she destined to give birth to children forever after that life changing event.

Oh help me. Children.

No-one had ever taught her to be a Mother. Would her husband divorce her if she was a bad mother?

Divorce.

Oh the scandal would be atrocious.

But what happened if the man went back on his word if she was an awful wife?

Entertaining guests with balls and such.

She was confident doing that either, she usually had the help of Eva with that.

Eva, at least she could bring Eva to her new home.

Richmond.

The Richmond estate, the place where she was to live.

Her heart fluttered with nerves at the word. It seemed to solidify that any hopes and dreams she had once had as a child were shattered.

She was to be a Duchess, not just a Duke's daughter.

That caused another panic surge through her.

Calming herself, she changed into her favourite royal blue riding habit and walked to the stables.

"Freddie? Where are you? Where is Francesca?" Her unladylike loud voice carried across the stable block, the other stable hands glanced at her, bowed, and carried on with their jobs.

She sound of hooves against stone and the sight of the grey mare was enough to relax her being led by a little character she knew.

Freddie's once tousled ginger hair was cut neatly and he was the picture of cleanliness.

She looked at him affectionately, walking towards him and rustling his hair. A toothy grin erupted from his freckled face at the action, and she smiled with him, turning to pat the mare who was nudging her pocket for a treat.

She gave Francesca the piece of carrot she had stolen from the kitchen whilst the staff had been cooking a vegetable soup.

"How are you today Freddie?"

"Fine thank ye Miss," she watched in amusement as another telltale blush graced his cheeks.

He paused, quickly looking round in both directions. "My Lady?"

"Yes Feddie?"

"Are you marrying Henry?"

Rosalie was puzzled for a moment. How would this small stable hand know about her marriage, never mind her fiancee and his first name? After all, her fiancee was Duke, he would not ever be called by his first name and not many would even know it.

A voice, the Head Stable manager shouted for Jacob from inside the main stable building. Freddie bowed quickly and dashed off in the direction of the voice, leaving Rosalie and her mare standing there.

Another stable hand, saw the commotion and came over to help her mount her horse and passing her her riding crop.

Rosalie mumemered a thanks and kicked Francesca into a trot as soon as she had dismissed the stable hand and decided to take the discreet path to the park that she had first met her soon-to-be husband. She was mulling over what Freddie had said, coming to a conclusion that he must have gotten mixed up, or that he had rumours from the other staff. They were smart, and they would have put two and two together and perhaps that was why he knew.

Francesca slightly spooked at a noise coming from the inside from the bush. Rosalie, heart involuntarily racing, laughed and patted the mare on the neck.

"Let's not have a repeat of yesterday!"

"Yes, let's not."

That time Rosalie nearly fell off with shock.

"What are you doing here?" In her shock, and initial anger, she had forgotten to address him correctly.

"Following you and making sure you were safe like a good husband-to-be should?" His tone was mocking, daring her to challenge him.

"Well this is my private path, no-one else ever comes on this one! Your Grace."

"Well I have been using this path for years, so it is a coincidence my lady."

Rosalie stopped and turned her torso to face him schooling her features from irritation. He was on a beautiful bay stallion, it having a majestic look to his proud face and an arrogant twist to his features, much like his owner she noticed with a giggle.

"Well, seeing as though we are already shrouded in gossip, would you care to ride with me until we part ways?"

He answered drily, "I was going to do that anyway, there are rumours of numerous highwaymen attacking this park at the current time."

Rosalie blushed a furious red as he trotted up beside her, and their legs became tangled on the narrow path.

Thankfully, as the sun was directly behind her, she hoped it would blind him if he tried to look at her, therefore not revealing her blush. It would do nothing for his ego, in which she suspected was large enough already.

The light emphasized every structure of his face, cheekbones becoming even more defined in the shadows of the trees, and a tiny, but newly made, scar just below his earlobe.

In a surprisingly comfortable silence they rode forwards, listening to the birds, and breathing in the smell of fresh grass and newly fallen rain, occasionally laughing at their horses pretending to bite one another.

With a start, his stallion surged sideways in a fit of temper, intent on showing the mare who was leader. Francesca put her ears back and kicked out, Rosalie grabbing onto her saddle as the stallion went to then bite the mare. Francesca reared in anger and kicked out again, the force sending her over backwards.

All Rosalie felt was pain all over body,and then especially her left leg as the mare scrambled to get up and stood on it, horseshoes ripping through skin as everything went black, listening to the fading of her future husband yelling to her.