~AMMG~ 30

The thundering noise of men's boots on the floor above didn't startle her anymore, nor did the raucous laughing or the banging of mugs on the table.

She'd relaxed over the last few days, her cover story was clear in her head, lest anyone of the normal patrons started asking questions. The innkeeper, Millie, and Lucy had requested it after hearing her story. It had made sense, at all costs was her injury to be kept hidden as it could be a clear sign to Wilborough's men. She'd almost come to start believing she was a lowly worker's daughter, and that her family had been killed in a terrible shipping accident, except if for the niggles of longing to see her Father's face, as well as those others she held close, like Eva and Freddie.

"Rose?" Lucy had dispensed calling her 'My Lady' immediately and they'd become fast friends. Lucy's sense of humour sent Rosalie in peals of laughter, whereas her story telling of the upper classes kept Lucy in raptures.

"Yes Luce?" She giggled as she shouted back across the kitchen to her friend who was serving the men their drinks at their tables. Polite society had never allowed her to shout, and so it made her laugh everyone time that someone encouraged her to do it.

"Could you start making the rolls for supper?"

She smiled again, and used her stick to maneuver her to the stool especially for her. Millie had told her that she didn't want to be paid, so her work would do instead, so she'd spent the last days doing kitchen work and learning how to cook, something that had never been accessible before.

Her fingers and palms of her hands kneaded the dough firmly. Her fingers were now a little callused, something she was proud of.  Her experiences in the inn had shown her how selfish and spoiled she was, and she was determined to change that.

Her thoughts flickered back to the first girl, who'd come in battered and bruised with her dress torn right down the center. The men had cheered as the poor girl had walked through, but Millie and Lucy had run to her aid as she collapsed and had given her food, drink, a bath and somewhere to stay for the night. 

The second girl was the prettiest she'd ever seen, but the thinnest and the weakest as well. Rosalie had helped wash her, grimacing at the scars on her torso. 

The third had needed bandages as she'd tried to cut herself due to finding out she was pregnant. 

Rosalie shivered. She'd always been so wrapped up in her perfect bubble, she had no idea what it was like for everyone else. Those not protected by name or fortune. 

Her kneading had become stronger as her anger grew at the unfairness of it all. There was nothing she could do as a woman to save those girls, except give them money. There was no laws she could herself change, and she doubted pleading to her Father would help, as although he was prominent in Politics, it was clear no-one actually cared. Millie had told her everything was particularly bad due to the lack of money. It drove bad men worse.

Her kneading had become so strong she could feel the ache through her hands. Though her thoughts she thought she heard Lucy ask a Lord to stay away, but she wasn't listening.

Suddenly her hands were covered by larger, stronger, manly hands.

She looked up quickly into Henry's smiling face. She gasped. and so relieved that they'd found her she threw her arms around his neck and off the stool, meaning she had to wrap herself around him to keep her balance. 

Henry's hands slowly came around her waist as he hugged her back. 

"Now see here-"

Rosalie peered over Henry's big shoulder to see the slightly indignant face of her Father. She felt Henry's lips curve into a smile against her cheek. 

He turned his head slightly, "Do you need help getting down?"

She flushed, ready with an angry retort. Instead she remembered the lessons she had wanted to instill in herself. "If you could pass me my stick I would be grateful, Your Grace."

Still holding her up, he reached for the stick with one arm. "I do believe we're past that stage Rosalie."

She blushed this time, his twinkling eyes catching hers. He seemed tired, exhausted even, but more relaxed around her, less uptight and unresolved. She went to her Father, remembering to use one arm this time. He would probably fall over backwards if she'd done what she'd done what to Henry.

He must be strong.

She blushed again. Here was her rescue party after being kidnapped and she was still thinking about Henry, well admiring really.

"Let us sit down." Her Father's gruff voice brought her back to reality. She pointed to a table away from the others. Millie and Lucy were still serving the others, but kept looking back curiously.

Henry nodded to someone, glancing in his direction she saw some bulky men who stationed themselves at the door.

"You brought guards?"

Her Father looked at her,  "You were kidnapped Rosalie, what do you expect?"

Rosalie sparked with an idea, "Well you see Father, I sorted out my own mess quite nicely. However my eyes have been opened to some society issues regarding the degradation of women. Some are sexually assaulted, beaten or even killed. If we could post your, frankly useless, guards around the streets, especially at this time of social unrest, it may prevent these crimes-"

She stopped, feeling self conscious at the two men staring with wide eyes at her.

"What? I do believe that this small assistance would be most useful, even if for a short while. Believe me I have tried to think of anyway I could protect these girls, after all I, well rather you Father, have the money to make a difference-" 

The Duke of Trent spluttered. "Rosalie, are you quite alright? You sound quite unlike yourself. Would you not like to talk through, I don't know weep at your ordeal? I mean look at your clothes."

"Poppycock, clothes are nothing to me, whereas these women need help. My kidnapping was just a walk in the park really compared to what they go through-"

She was stopped abruptly again as Henry grabbed her face and kissed her, square on the mouth.