Chapter XX

"I promise this is the last one today." A woman in her mid-twenties said almost pleadingly.

"No." came back the stubborn voice.

"This concoction is much less bitter than the previous one." The woman tried to implore.

"It's still bitter." The old woman replied back, unmoved.

Heaving a sigh, Malti stared defeatedly at the old woman, who had outrightly refused to take any medications today. Giving the age-old excuse of every person who has lived and died on this earth, 'The medicine is bitter.'

It wasn't a new thing for Malti. She had come across this innate stubbornness of her patient from time to time.

Most of the time Nalini just obediently swallows down her medicines. But there were some occasions when her intrinsic resistance to anything bitter woke up. And today, unfortunately was one of those days.

"Okay! so we shall do this." Malti suddenly stated making Nalini look at her in sudden intrigue. "You swallow this medicine and we shall have an authentic heavy Indian style dinner tonight."

Nalini narrowed her eyes at Malti before tersely saying, "No!"

"What?" Malti cried out in bewilderment.

"Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice, shame on me!" Nalini continued haughtily, much for Malti's amusement.

"You think you can fool me with the same trick twice. Then think again Malti." Nalini stated condescendingly.

Malti dropped her head in utter disdain. Just than someone knocked lightly on the door, making her raise her head to stare at it expectedly. She ardently wished it to be the old man who could lovingly coerce his wife to take her medicines, like some of the previous times.

So, with a slight smile of relief, Malti went and opened the door. Only for her smile to transform into a full blown and smug one. 'Now there was no way that the old woman won't take her medicines.'

Because there stood not the stout and intimidating figure of the old man but of his tall and broad-shouldered grandson.

There stood, Eklavya.

Opening the door wide for him she welcomed him inside. And with great amusement she noticed how Nalini's whole visage lightened up upon seeing her grandson.

Sauntering towards the grand canopy bed, Eklavya sat at the end of it. Nalini's jubilance knew no bounds when he lovingly enclosed her gnarled hand in the warm and big clasp of his hands.

She was awed at how much her grandson had grown. Because for Nalini, he was still the small infant whom she never could cajole in her arms.

Sensing that she was intruding in this sweet, private moment of family members, Malti slowly moved outside. Sure, that this young fellow whom she doesn't even know properly will take good care of her patient.

"It's already past ten. Why aren't you asleep yet grandma?" Eklavya asked inquisitively.

"Don't blame me. Blame your old, moustache faced grandpa." Nalini's quirky reply made Eklavya raise his brows. "It's late and he hasn't come back from office yet."

"Oh! Just that." Eklavya looked assertively at her.

"What?" Nalini looked at him in confusion at his odd reply.

"The reason why you aren't taking your medicines." Staring at her plausibly, he continued, "You wanted to show your old, moustache faced husband that if he can neglect his health, so can you."