Chapter LI

Squaring her shoulders Anamika knocked lightly on the door. Getting no reply even after few moments passed Anamika knitted her brow in a mix of curiosity and confusion. Turning the knob, she peeked inside her head.

And wondered where her angry young man was. Because the room was completely bereft of his all- encompassing presence. But wasn't it all for better. She could just simply hang the small painting and quickly leave without leaving a trail.

Grinning to herself, Anamika sauntered inside and swiftly launched herself in the search for the perfect spot for her gift. After quick moments of deliberation, she decided on the spot just beside the window with a sideboard cabinet placed beneath it.

"It's perfect!" she breathed to herself as her lips curled up in a miniscule smile.

Swiftly walking up there Anamika removed the already hanging piece of modern art and fishing out her own painting she carefully hanged it. Thoroughly pleased with how lovely it looked the girl then picked up the previous piece and with the intention of putting it inside the sideboard cabinet, opened it.

And what caught her brown eyes was a polished wooden box with beautiful and intricated carvings. She gently caressed the floral carvings as she admired the work. No doubt that it was a handmade artefact.

Soon the admiration turned into sheer curiosity and despite her willing herself not to rude and pry into his privacy, Anamika was dying to know what he tried to hide away in that exquisite wooden box.

So, muttering a sheepish apology to her Eklavya and the one with a serpent around his neck and the crescent moon adorning his matted locks. The girl pulled out the box in her hands and opened it only to suck in a sharp breath the next second.

Her brows knitted together in utter mystification as she stared back at some dried flowers, jasmine and marigold flowers. A paper chit that looked oddly familiar, a ten rupee note and her earring... that was declared lost after the Satyanarayan Katha in the Chauhan household.

Blood rushed to her pale cheeks as her heart started beating erratically and her brain literally fused from all the bewildering emotions that were stirring inside her at the moment.

Few seconds felt like epochs and Anamika wasn't exactly sure how she was supposed to react. Was she supposed to shriek and dance like crazy in utter happiness or was she supposed to act as if she hadn't seen it at all??!!

"Oh, good Lord! What have I just seen?!!" she murmured to herself. "He's going to chew me alive if he finds out I saw all of this..."

And hastily put the box back inside she closed the cabinet box. Reaching for the small paper bag she quickly swiveled around and made a dash for the door.

'Curse my luck!' Anamika cried to herself when she came face to face with devilishly handsome lad, who was holding tray in his hands.

"What a pleasant surprise!!" he mused with raised brows.

Anamika could only muster up an overwrought smile and Eklavya's dark eyes squinted in thought immediately. The constant flitting of her eyes as she refused to look at him point blank, and her fidgeting on her feet were a total telltale.

"What mischief were you up to?!" he drawled lazily and made his way inside, forcing her to take a few steps backwards.

"No – nothing..." she muttered, failing to utter a simple lie pathetically.

"Hmm..." Eklavya put the tray on the bedside table, "Sure you weren't."

"An – anyway... punking people is your favorite leisure not mine," she came with a sharp rebuttal after gaining her tongue.