chapter 11

'we're being punked, Pedro'

.

.

.

Georgie tied her long black hair back with a hair tie as she stepped off the bus, already feeling the heat from the late summer sun blasting against her neck. She craned her neck which was stiff from the bus journey, where she had blissfully ignored everyone else and stared out the window the entire time.

"So, what did you do? My dad never gets mad at you. You're the prodigal daughter. Must have been juicy," Lizzie asked Hope, purposely pestering her for some shred of gossip that she could use to entertain herself throughout the day. Georgie was standing next to Lizzie, but it was clear to them all that she wasn't interested in the conversation at all.

"Sorry. No time for girl talk. Public service awaits," Hope replied, knowing that if she told Lizzie before she told Georgie that the Lockwood girl might literally never speak to her again, and as much as she loved having her single room she didn't want to lose what was maybe her only proper friend.

"All right, listen up!" Dorian shouted, making them all gather around him as he held buckets of water and litter picking tools. "It's a beautiful day. You got options-- litter, weeds, graffiti! Your choice."

Kaleb accepted the litter picking that Dorian passed to him, but instantly tried to pass it to Lizzie as soon as the man walked away from the group. Georgie knew that the last thing she wanted to be doing was picking up trash.

"It's bad enough we get punished while the humans get a pass, but there ain't no way in hell I'm picking up their garbage," Kaleb explained as he continued trying to make Lizzie take the tool from him, but the blonde wasn't having it at all.

"Uh, I don't do trash either," she told him, holding up her hands and taking a step away from him in disgust. Kaleb rolled his eyes, but grinned as Hope snatched the tool from him hearing that Lizzie was not going to be on trash duty at all.

"I love trash...As of this moment," she said as she turned away and began to move away from them all. Josie shared a look with Georgie but she was surprised to see the hybrid was sending a glare in the direction of Hope similar to Lizzie's look too.

"Perf. It suits you," Lizzie snarked before turning to look at Josie. "Looks like we're scrubbing paint today."

"Dad told us to work together, okay? Harmoniously," Josie informed her, causing Lizzie and Georgie both to scoff slightly at her words. Georgie thought it was rather funny seeing that after one compliment Josie was now willing to suddenly be Hope's friend even though she had been asking the girl to be her friend since she had discovered that Hope was her roommate.

"Yeah, and he also said without drama, and I am feeling a rage attack coming on, so I will be remaining drama-free over by that wall of graffiti. Are you coming or not?"