chapter 2

'he was our friend'

.

.

.

She had learnt the man was named Alaric Saltzman and that Caroline Forbes' twin daughters who had been left out in the corridor were also his twins - although the adult duo had made it rather clear they weren't together as if it even meant anything to Georgie who didn't even know what was happening.

She had stood up from the chair quite soon into his clearly rehearsed speech about the world of the supernatural, unaware that she knew the majority of the things he was telling her. Caroline and Alaric studied her carefully as she explored his office, clearly hardly listening to the ex-vampire hunter. The lack of surprise on her face told them both that she was already well aware of the species that lived under the school's roof, making them wonder exactly who this mysterious Georgie was.

The girl's hand trailed along some personal photos that sat on the shelves of the bookcases that lined the room, her eyes instantly drawn to a photo of the man sitting in the same room as her with a woman who was clearly in a wedding dress. Caroline looked solemn for a moment as she shared a sad glance to Alaric before continuing watching the strange movements of the teenage in front of them. It might have been 16 years since the disastrous wedding, but the death of Jo would always be a painful topic for them all.

She looked at the next photo and her eyebrows furrowed as she saw it. Everything just felt so familiar but she knew she had never seen these people in her life before. It was clearly two brothers, big smiles on their face as they stood out the front of the school long before it clearly had became one.

"That's the Salvatore brothers, the one on the left is Damon. The one on the right was Stefan Salvatore, my late husband," Caroline told Georgie as the girl cast a glance at herself and Alaric before putting the photo down.

She knew death well, and it was seeming like that was something they also knew well too. She could almost feel the death that resided in the town, her pulse having been beating slightly quicker the entire time. The realisation that Mystic Falls seemed to be the centre of a lot of suffering wasn't hard for her to come across.

"So this is like... a school for vamps, witches and wolves?" Georgie summarised as she sat back down in the chair, having only looked at some of the photos but making sure she was able to still have a look at the ones she hadn't already looked at.

"Yeah, it's exactly that. We teach young gifted individuals like yourself to harness your abilities and learn to live your most authentic self," Caroline chirped, a warm smile across her face as she smiled warmly at the girl across from her. "We don't like to brag, but we're pretty cool."

Alaric and Caroline both let out a chuckle at that, expecting Georgie to have at least smiled but instead the girl just nodded before fiddling with a simple silver bracelet on her wrist. The small wolf charm stayed close to her skin and Caroline narrowed her eyes at it in confusion. She had noticed the girl wearing it when she found her in the woods, but hadn't realised that it would have broken when she shifted until now. It was clearly a magical object - which just opened up so many more questions about Georgie.