Chapter 18 - Katherine

Katherine pulled her hand out of his and took another step back. This is what she dreamed of. What she wished for since she was sixteen. Was it real? Was this a sick joke? Could she believe him?

She turned around and faced the river. She couldn't look at him right now. It was all too much to take in.

Derrick jogged around her and halted directly in front of her. "Let me make it up to you."

She looked past him at the ground. What if he didn't stay? Why get her hopes up once again?

"Say it." She looked straight into his sapphire eyes. How she had missed getting lost in them.

"Say what?" He furrowed his eyebrows.

"What your intentions are. Clearly."

He quieted for a moment, his face solemn. "I'm going to do everything in my power to marry you."

She tried not to let her emotions surface on her face.

"I love you," he whispered.

She took a step back from the impact. He said it.

"How do I know you aren't going to deny it in two years?" It was a low blow but she had to know. She had to hear his answer.

He let out a puff of air. "I'd be lying if I said I didn't love your brown eyes, your cute smile, and your womanly curves. But that isn't all. I love your character. How you care for people. You are eager to help others. You make everyone feel at ease. There's no one like you in this entire kingdom."

Katherine was silent. He sounded convincing.

"I'm not good with words, but I want to be a part of your life. I want to grow old with you. I want to love you until I draw my last breath."

"Oh Derrick." She breathed.

He stepped forward and placed his forehead against hers, closing his eyes. "Please tell me I still have a chance."

She couldn't think, much less answer with his face this close to hers. Was he going to kiss her and leave?

She caught subtle hints of cedar and tobacco. She had missed him. Missed his scent. Missed being this close to him. Everything about him. She closed her eyes and just breathed for a second.

How long was it going to last? Would he leave her once again, cold and lonely?

"I'm sorry, Derrick. I have to think about it. I'm so confused." She jerked back and ran to her horse.

She swung herself onto the sidesaddle, not caring if her petticoats showed. She goaded her horse into action, leaving Derrick behind.

This was all so sudden. She had resigned herself to the fact that Derrick would never be hers. She had opened her heart to Damon, thinking that he may be the next best option. Now to welcome Derrick with open arms?

Katherine let the wind whip across her face, refreshing her mind. Not feeling up to confronting Cedric, Damon, or Derrick, she chose to detour around the castle grounds.

She outflanked the field where the castle hands cleaned up after the previous day's competition.

Her conversation with Derrick played through her mind hundreds of times. Katherine thought of all the things she could have said but hadn't. What she said sounded stupid in her ears. Hopefully Derrick didn't think about it too much.

After riding for more than an hour, Katherine returned to the stables lest her father send out a search party.

Derrick sat outside the stables, reading a book.