Chapter 22

They reached the river after a few more days of travelling. It had been an agonising journey for Anna, as she had grappled with the enormity of what awaited them all when they arrived there. She had scanned the faces of her fellow travellers for a sign of the new found resolution and peace that she had seen in Ruth but detected no change in their blank, resigned countenances. She had thought of broaching the subject with her immediate companions but had been lost as to how to take the conversation beyond the few brief pleasantries that she exchanged with them each day. At any rate, she had not yet fathomed how to tell Antonina of what was to happen. She could not begin to form the words in her mind that must be said.  

As for herself, Anna had adopted a new approach to get her through the last few days of her life and had chosen only to look back, wrapping herself in her memories. With no future to concern herself with, Anna retreated into her mind and immersed herself in warm and comforting thoughts of her former life. She tried to remember every happy moment of her childhood, of times with her father and Isaac and most of all with Theophanes. Behind her vacant, glazed expression, Anna attempted to relive her short life once more, cherishing and savouring every moment. When she was occasionally jolted back to reality she resented the intrusion of the outside world and quickly shrank back into herself as soon as she could. Antonina mostly slept, for which Anna was grateful. Every time Antonina looked at her with trusting eyes Anna felt like a murderer and doubts swamped her once more. Did she have the strength to do what must be done?

As the dusty road along which the column of wagons travelled followed the course of the river, Anna observed that it was faster flowing and more turbulent than the lazy Euphrates. She did not doubt that the Tigris had the power to sweep them all away if they surrendered themselves to its swift current. Would their captors even allow them to bathe? As they came around a bend in the river however and the column halted to make camp for the night, Anna observed that they were stopping at a point where a long, narrow island close to the near bank created a shallow backwater. By the time that their wagon came to a halt, she could see that some of the women were already making their way to the water’s edge. This was the end then.

She exchanged a glance with the girl opposite her, who was perhaps a couple of years older. It was hard to tell any more beneath the grime of the road. Their eyes met in a sudden understanding and at last Anna saw that sense of quiet purpose that Ruth had possessed. She felt a sudden, unexpected serenity come over her. Then the girl smiled.

‘It is time,’ she said. ‘Go with God.’ Then she reached out and touched Antonina’s face for a moment before making her way down from the wagon and walking stiffly with the others towards the river.

‘What did she mean by that?’ Antonina asked, still rubbing the sleep from her eyes. Anna knew that the time had come to explain to Antonina that they must now take their leave of the world but still the words would not come. Her mind was frozen.

‘I do not know,’ she lied. ‘Come on, let us get clean.’

At the river they joined the growing number of young women crowding into the shallow loop of water in the shelter of the island. The women stood knee deep in the icy water. Some made a show of washing themselves, whilst others just stood, waiting. It took time for all of the women to reach the river bank, many struggled to walk from illness, fatigue or simply the stiffness of the journey. There was space only for a few hundred in the water and most thronged the bank, ostensibly awaiting their turn in the water. The Persians busied themselves about the camp, paying little attention to their prisoners. The women in the water were mostly hidden from view by the tall, swaying reeds along the riverbank.
Anna stooped and splashed some water on her face, washing the dust away for the last time. The water felt so cold, she dreaded its embrace. She looked around for Ruth but could not see her. Resigned, she closed her eyes and tried to summon Theophanes’ face to her mind once more. Then Antonina screamed.

It had begun. In ones and twos at first and then in larger groups the girls waded out from both ends of the backwater into the main stream of the river. As they made their way into deeper water most were knocked from their feet by the strength of the current by the time that they were chest-deep and were borne swiftly away, their heads dragged beneath the surface as they gave themselves unresisting to the waters. Others stood for a time, with the water up to their necks before plunging themselves under. They did not resurface.
‘Anna! What is happening?’ Antonina cried out in shock. ‘They are drowning. They are all drowning.’

The women were plunging into the deep water in a great mass now and those on the bank were making their way down into the river to join them. Anna and Antonina stood in the midst of the surging crowd of women, all now rushing to their doom. Anna knelt down in the water, feeling the rough shingle on her knees, and took Antonina’s face in her hands.

‘We must join them, Antonina.’ She saw the shock turn to horror in the girl’s eyes. ‘This is our only way out. Come into the river with me. This will all be over and no-one will ever be able to hurt us.’

‘Why Anna? Why?’

‘Terrible things will happen to us if we do not. There is nothing for us but a life of slavery far from home. It will be better to go into the river. It will be over in a moment. It will not hurt. I promise.’

Antonina was sobbing and Anna felt the tears running down her own cheeks.

‘I don’t want to drown,’ Antonina cried out. ‘Please don’t make me drown, Anna.’

Anna reached out to embrace Antonina but the girl shoved her away and began to run back towards the river bank. Anna went after her and grabbed her wrist, dragging her back into the water. Antonina screamed again.

Anna’s mind was filled with panic. This was not how it was supposed to have been. She had not imagined even in her very darkest thoughts having to drag Antonina unwilling to her death. She had thought that somehow she would be able to gently persuade her to seek oblivion in the river. What a fool she had been.

The last of the girls were wading out into the river at the far end of the island. It seemed impossible that so many could have been swept away so swiftly, but no trace remained of them. Anna trudged out further into the river, still dragging the screaming Antonina behind her. Alerted by the sound, some of the Persians were running towards the riverbank, but they were too late to prevent the loss of their prisoners.

Determined not to be taken back, Anna pressed on into deeper water. The pebbles of the river bed were uneven and slippery under her feet. She could feel the pressure of the rushing current pushing against her legs, clamouring at her flesh with icy fingers and eager to drag her down. As she stumbled, Antonina’s hand slipped from her grip and she staggered and almost went under. The rushing water was up to Anna’s chest now and she did not know how she found the strength to stand against it. It drove her backwards, one step at a time. She called out to Antonina.

‘Come into the river. Come with me.’ Antonina took a hesitant step forward. Anna tried to walk back towards her but the current was too strong. She held out her arms wide and called out again.
‘Come to me, Antonina. It will be alright.’

A Persian officer was spurring his horse into the water and riding towards the last women still standing in the shallows at the far end of the island.

‘Antonina, come on!’ Anna called out one more time and tried again to make her way back towards the terrified girl, to drag her under the water with her. She had lost all feeling in her legs already from the freezing water and as she stepped forward she lost her footing and was swept under. Suddenly all was darkness and the roaring of the water filled her ears. Anna took an instinctive gulp and panic gripped her as freezing water filled her lungs. She could feel the rough bottom of the river bed tearing at her as she was carried along, turning end over end in the current. This was the end then. She could feel her consciousness fading as her body gave up the struggle against the elemental force of the river. An overwhelming sadness came over her at the last. It was so lonely to die without being able to say goodbye to those she loved. She willed her thoughts towards Theophanes, wherever he was. With the last force of her being, she sent her love to him as the rushing darkness filled her head.