Chapter 43

Anna stood uncomfortably as Semiramis appraised her naked body. It was yet another indignity, having already submitted her most intimate parts to the attentions of a razor wielding Bagoas, who had insisted that Kavad preferred his girls to be shaven in this way. 

Semiramis nodded in approval as she looked Anna up and down and then handed her a simple white gown which had been brought for her.  

'I can see straight through it,' Anna protested, as she held the exquisitely fine garment up to the light that streamed through the latticed window before pulling it over her head. 

'That is the idea, child,' Semiramis chided her. 'You want Kavad to take an interest in you do you not? He has many girls to choose from.' 

'I suppose so.' Anna gasped in indignation as Semiramis grabbed her breasts through the thin material and massaged her nipples expertly between thumb and forefinger until they were painfully hard.  

'That is better.' The veteran courtesan nodded with satisfaction. 'Stand up straight, chin up. Very good. Can you smile a little?' Anna forced a stiff grimace onto her face and Semiramis frowned. 'Perhaps not. At least try not to pout. You should appear demure. Gods, child! There are a thousand girls out there who would kill for this chance. A personal audience with the new Great King.' 

'It is only the chance to kill him that interests me,' Anna replied grimly. 

'All in good time. First you must make him want you, or that chance may never come. Bagoas has piqued his interest in the last Virgin of the Tigris but there are no guarantees, you are a little too old for Kavad's tastes.' 

Anna shuddered at the thought of what she must do and then steeled herself as she heard approaching footsteps and voices. Semiramis withdrew to the adjoining room. 

'How much further, Bagoas? I have many young women to inspect this day and much else to attend to besides.' 

'Such a rare pearl, Great King, should be seen in splendid isolation.' Anna recognised the eunuch's lisping voice. 

'I hope that she lives up to the picture that you have painted, eunuch. If she disappoints I may take what remains of your manhood.' 

'Great King, no words of mine could truly do justice to the perfection of this flower that the Lady Semiramis has kept unblemished for your pleasure.' Anna had to admire Bagoas' persistence. He was indefatigable.  

'Semiramis is mistaken if she believes that she can fuck her way back into my favour by proxy. A king takes what he wants and owes nothing to anyone.' Kavad swept into the room followed at a respectful distance by Bagoas. He seemed surprised to find Anna alone. His last statement clearly had been intended for Semiramis to hear. Kavad shrugged. He doubtless suspected that Semiramis listened close by. 

Anna stiffened. Goose pimples were raised on her arms as if she felt herself in the presence of some dangerous, predatory animal. Kavad regarded her coldly, looking her up and down, his eyes seemed to probe her body through the gown. Anna kept her eyes downcast, watching the fish in the pool at the room's centre. Kavad walked slowly around her, as if inspecting a horse. She felt his breath on the back of her neck as he stepped in close behind her and she shivered involuntarily. 

'You fear my touch?' Kavad spoke softly but with an unmistakable hint of malice.  

Anna did not respond. Semiramis had cautioned her against speaking, fearing that Anna's sharp tongue may undo the entire plot. 

'It is good that you fear me,' Kavad whispered into Anna's ear. 'I enjoy fear.'  

At last she looked up into his face as he walked back around to stand in front of her. He was younger than she had expected and could perhaps be considered handsome but for the cruelty that glittered in his eyes. What had this monster done to Antonina? She wondered to herself. She quailed at the thought of being alone with him but the prospect of driving a dagger into one of those cold eyes seemed a pleasing thought.