Chapter 34

The dawn had not yet broken although it would not be long in coming. The sky above the hulking shadow of the eastern shore was turning pearly grey as the lingering sliver of moon grew faint. Save for the slapping of the sea against the hull and the creaking of the oars there was no sound. The dim light of a single oil lamp burning in the stern betrayed the position of the dromon to the other ships around it, which likewise displayed a single small light in order to avoid collisions. Of the rest of the fleet following behind there was no sign other than the faint, white breaking of the water around their bows. With sails furled, the fleet was moving stealthily forward under oars, the strokes slow and steady.
Having lain idle at Selymbria for many months to guard against the sudden appearance of any ships that the Persians might have been able to muster and send against the capital from the conquered territories of Egypt and Syria, the vast war fleet at last had a chance to go into action. In spite of their keen anticipation for the coming fight however, the crews were maintaining an admirable silence. Complete surprise would be the key to success.

So much Nicetas had explained as he had laid out his plans to Theophanes and Isaac on the way to their rendezvous with the fleet.  Nicetas’ hands had trembled with excitement as he had read the captured dispatch from the Great King and the emperor’s accompanying letter.

‘This could not have come at a better time,’ he had declared. ‘We shall send a few thousand of Shahrbaraz’s men to the bottom of the straits along with those godless savages he sees fit to ally himself with and then, when he is reeling from his defeat, we shall serve him up the news that his own king wants his head. It is perfect.’

Nicetas had thumped the wooden bulkhead beside him, grinning wolfishly at the prospect of unravelling the unholy alliance of Persians and Avars that threatened the capital of the empire.

‘You know Shahrbaraz,’ he had demanded of Theophanes and Isaac. ‘How do you think he will react to this news? Will he turn against the Great King?’

‘I do not know if he would go so far,’ Theophanes had admitted. ‘But I do not think he will continue to do Khusrow’s bidding. Whatever he does, it will not be to the Great King’s advantage.’

‘And his army will follow him,’ Isaac had interjected. ‘I am certain of that.’

Soon they would know, but first the Avars must be smashed and scattered and all of their schemes brought to watery ruin.
As a bright dawn broke upon the waters of the Bosporus, two arresting sights greeted Theophanes’ eyes as he stood beside Isaac and Nicetas inside the raised wooden castle ahead of the main mast of the dromon. Skewered on spears lashed upright on either side of the prow by way of a grisly decoration were the disembodied heads of two of the captured Persian emissaries. They stared out sightlessly towards the vast flotilla of rafts and simple dug-out boats fashioned from large tree trunks that was making its way back across the straits.
Nicetas noted Theophanes’ expression.

‘Believe me.’ He spoke softly. ‘Taking their heads was a kindness after all that their bodies had suffered.’

‘A small enough price to save the city,’ Isaac muttered.

‘These men told us nothing,’ Nicetas continued. ‘Their companion however has earned himself a swifter death by telling us the truth of the Avar plan.’

‘Will you cut his head off too?’ Theophanes asked.

‘It shall be catapulted from the walls at Blachernae to greet the Avars when they come against us once more.’ Nicetas returned Theophanes’ grimace with a wan smile. ‘War makes monsters of us all in the end, Theophanes.’

Panic had now broken out in the Avar flotilla as they caught sight of the Roman fleet bearing down upon them. The water was churned up in frantic and uncoordinated splashes as every man who could lay hands on an improvised paddle sought to row their craft out of danger. There was to be no escape however, as the ships of the fleet began to fan out across the straits in order to completely encircle the enemy.