21: good 'ol friends

"Spencer, it's only a 3-hour drive, I'll be just fine."

"What if you go into early labor? What if you fall asleep at the wheel? What if-"

"Spence, stop. I'm only thirty weeks, I won't go into labor." Lexie chuckled.

She was leaving for a three-day medical conference in Maryland. Lexie had been looking forward to this ever since Meredith sent her an invite, of course, Spencer was wary about her leaving. He doesn't like to let her leave his side.

"And if I did, which I won't, I'll be in a hospital full of doctors." She stuffed one more maternity dress into her suitcase.

"I know, I'm just worried, so much has already happened to us," Spencer said softly.

Lexie dropped her clothes onto the bed, walking up to Spencer and cupping her hands on his face.

"You're right, a lot has happened, but that's all behind us now." Her bright eyes filling Spencer's heart to the brim.

"But what if something happens, I won't be there," Spencer said, placing his hands on his.

"We are going to be fine, I promise." She brought her hands down to her stomach, bring Spencer's hands with hers.

"Plus, Alex Karev is quite the protector." Lexie laughed.

"Should I be worried?" Spencer said, sticking his bottom lip out.

"Nope, been there, done that," Lexie said nonchalantly.

.......

Lexie waved to Spencer one last time as she pulled out of their apartment complex. She fully moved in about a week ago. Spencer's apartment was just a temporary staying point until the baby was born. The two have already started house hunting, but Lexie doesn't want to have another pregnant move.

She pulled into the familiar parking lot of Caroline's complex, honking the horn to let her know she was there. Once Caroline came out with her suitcase, Lexie got out and sat in the passenger seat, letting Caroline take to wheel this time.

"You ready for a weekend full of boring presentations and hot doctors?" Caroline asked excitedly.

"Definitely ready for the part of the boring presentations, but my little girl and I already have a hot doctor at home." she chuckled

"Boo, you suck." Caroline pouted

The two drove and talked forever. Lexie did miss living with Caroline, coming home and eating Chinese while watching gossip girl was always something Lexie looked forward too.

Being a doctor takes a lot of things away. While other early 20s kids were out partying and living their lives, doctors stayed home to study for medical school. So when Lexie lived with Caroline, she got a sense of what it was like to be a 20 something year old. Now she's almost 31 and pregnant. She wouldn't trade her life for the world, but she couldn't help but feel that she is 'growing up' a little to fast.

She loves her daughter and Spencer more than anything, but she wasn't planning on having kids this early. When Mark told her he was having a kid with Callie, Lexie freaked out. She couldn't raise a child, she was busy with her residency. Now shes a board-certified surgeon, she has an amazing boyfriend, but raising a child still scares the hell out of her.

When the girls finally arrived at the hotel, Caroline went to register their hotel room while Lexie went to meet her friends. Meredith and some attendings in her year were meeting Lexie.

"Grey!" Lexie turned quickly when she heard Alex call her name, she smiled wide making her way over to them.

As soon as she turned around towards her friends their eyes went wide, her baby bump profoundly showing off, she realized she had only told Meredith, who was also pregnant, Lexie assumed Mer would have told them all. She should have known Meredith wouldn't.