19: out of nowhere

Lexie stood in Spencer's doorway for 20 minutes straight, just staring.  A bandage wrapped around his head, many IVs on his arm, his skin pale and sickly. She wanted to go in and hold his hand. She wanted to comfort him, but she couldn't. She couldn't get her feet to move. He looked so peaceful, she didn't want to disturb him. So she just stood there, staring at him.

"Hey."

The voice made Lexie jump, she turned around to me met with JJ's soft eyes. Seeing JJ made something come over Lexie, she broke down. She fell into the blonde woman's arms in hysterics. JJ had a maternal sense to her, anytime you felt lost or sad, Jennifer could always help.

Lexie just can't take it anymore. She was asleep when Spencer was in surgery and she's so grateful for that. She couldn't bear the thought of Spencer dying anymore. Seeing him alive in a hospital bed even made her scared. The realization that life is way too short, that life is never, ever, planned. That none knows whats going to happen. Planes and cars crash, people die. That realization washed over Lexie all too quickly as she sobs in Jennifer's shoulder. Lexie takes a step back from her shoulder, embarrassed by the puddle of tears she has left on JJ's shoulder.

"It's not fair, life," JJ spoke.

"Trust me, I know." Lexie chuckled.

"But he is here, he's alive." JJ smiled.

"This is what happened with Mark, my first love, we were in a plane crash and he died. - "He was in a hospital bed like this for a week, then he died," Lexie said.

"Lexie, I-" JJ said, placing a comforting hand on Lexie's shoulder.

"It happened two years ago, I'm fine, but I can't have it happen again. JJ I can't have him die."

"He won't, you and he are going to be just fine."

"It is not just us now," Lexie laughed

"Your pregnant?" JJ asked, mouth hanging open.

"Yeah, yeah I told him three days ago."
"Congratulations." JJ smiled "You guys are going to be amazing parents."

Lexie flashed her a sleepy smile and turned back to look at Spencer. Her jaw-dropping when she saw him awake. He was smiling at the two women softly. Lexie felt her heart do a backflip, even after 6 months of dating he still gave her butterflies.

JJ placed her hand on Lexie's shoulder, signaling her to go in and see him. Lexie whispered a small 'thank you' to the blond, JJ nodding in response. Lexie slowly walked over to Spencer's bedside. Tears brimmed her eyes as she grabbed his hand, once warm now cold.

"Oh Spence," she whispered brushing his hair out of his face. Tears slowly running down her cheeks.

"Hey, I'm okay. I promise." he brought her hand up to his lips, kissing them softly.

"I know I just-I know." Lexie couldn't place her words together, she was so overwhelmed.

Everything has been thrown at her at once. Her pregnancy, the stalker, and now this. She never had time to process anything, she couldn't think about how to attack it all. Her brain was racing a mile a minute. She hasn't even told her family back home that she's pregnant, she usually tells Meredith everything.

"Lexie, get out of that beautiful brain of yours," Spencer spoke, pulling her from all her thoughts.

"Sorry, this is all so much." Lexie sighed.

"I know, it's not fair that you have to go through this," Spencer spoke, dropping his head in response.

Spencer was scared, he was so scared she would run. Run back to Seattle where she has family, she has a security net. But here, she only has him and Caroline. Last time she was hurt she ran, but now she's tied to Spencer forever. They have a child, or they will in a few months, she will always be connected to him. He wants nothing more to be a dad to this baby, to have this life with Lexie.