Chapter 9

"Hey! Slow down would you?" Moira calls from behind me and I roll my eyes.

"What do you want Moira?" I hoist my bag over my shoulders, I'm not used to carrying it. I've never owned enough things to even warrant owning one.

"Where have you been?" She asks, tapping her toe, "I haven't seen you in weeks, you need to come back to work!"

"No I don't," I brush off the comment and keep walking, eyes to the ground, thumbs hooked under the straps over my shoulders.

"Well how do you expect to keep your place hmm? Or eat?" She struggles to catch up and keep pace with me, her long skirts billowing around her frantically moving legs.

"I'm fine Moira, don't worry about it."

"How am I not supposed to worry about it? I don't want to see you on the street! Lord knows that's a sure fire way to end your life."

"Honestly Moira, I'm fine." I shake my head and try to walk faster, "I've got something worked out with the landlord."

"Oh? What exactly would that be?" She leaps in front of me and stops my progress, I can see the door to my building and wish I could just push her aside.

"Nothing important, I'm working for her now."

"Oh? What are you doing for her?"

"Deliveries," I roll my eyes, "She's a busy lady, she's got lots of things to deliver."

"Like what?" Moira crosses her arms and looks up disapprovingly at me.

"You know, documents, cheques, that sort of stuff."

"So…so you're a courier…?"

"Yes!" I roll my eyes, "I'm a courier, and in exchange she's getting rid of my debt."

"Oh that's wonderful!" Moira smiles and throws her arms around my shoulders, "I'm so glad you've got yourself a real job!"

"Are you saying spreading the Word isn't a real job?" I try to pry her off of me but she refuses to let go.

"No of course not! It's as real as a job can be," She pulls back but keeps smiling, I can barely see the scar on her lip "But you and I both know your heart wasn't in it."

"I guess I'm just an open book huh?" I shrug and she allows me to pass.

"I'll be coming to see the shut-in tonight," She calls after me, "I'll stop by to say hello."

"Please don't!" I shout over my shoulder and hear her laugh.

When I get to my apartment, the blond Inspector is sitting at my table waiting for me, "Are you serious?" I ask, almost deciding to turn and leave.

"Well, nice to see you again as well," He stands up and I notice that he's been flipping through Agnes' album, "You didn't tell me it was back."

I grip the straps of my bag a little tighter, suddenly aware of a fine sheet of sweat covering my face, "I…I didn't think about it I guess."

"You know I'm going to have to confiscate it."

"What? Why?" I shake my head, moving to scoop up the album but he beats me to it.

"Evidence."

"Of what?" I ask, sucking my teeth.

"There's been a development in the Petrowski case," He ignores my outrage.

"What would that be?" I roll my eyes, this guy must have been real pissed when he had to let me go.

"It appears as though Mr. Petrowski didn't die of a heart attack."