Chapter 12

Against my better judgement, I allow Moira to follow me back to my new home. She stares around herself with wide eyes and looks back at me, "I can't believe this place! It's so big and so clean…"

"Yeah, you probably shouldn't touch anything."

Moira holds her limbs close to her body after dropping the photographs of me on the table, "Who lives here anyway? And why did they take you in?"

"Reggie and Selena live here, Reggie's training me."

"To kill that man?"

"Do you even have to ask?"

"Are you paying him?" Moira's hand reaches to her stomach again and her eyes glaze over.

"No, he doesn't need my credit…not that I have any…"

"Oh it's been so long since we've stopped by to see the Sweeney's," I can hear Selena's voice outside the door.

"Yes, well, I'm sure I don't have to explain why," Reginald opens the door and stops when he sees Moira, "What's going on here?"

"I just…she's a friend, Moira, her name is Moira," My toes drag across the floor, my eyes lower from Reggie's and Selena enters the room.

"Not another one Reggie! At least she's cleaner than this one," She stares down her nose at me then turns back to Moira, "You haven't touched anything have you? Let me see your hands…"

Moira looks at me, then steps forward to have her fingers examined.

"Sweet heart, this vagabond has nothing to do with me," Reginald's voice is low and I can feel his gaze like fire on my flesh.

"What?" Selena grabs hold of Moira's hands and the woman yelps, "What are you doing here?"

"I brought her!" I step forward and interrupt Moira's frightened stammering.

"Why?" Reginald's hands find his hips as he taps his toe.

"I was…she just…we…uh…"

"Spit it out you!" Selena snaps, she barely even has to focus to keep Moira at bay.

"She helped me okay!"

"With what?" Reginald steps toward me now.

"I was…out…doing some recon."

"Do I have to remind you what kind of trouble I'd get in if the Investigators ever realized I was harbouring a wanted criminal?" Reginald is on me, pinning me against the wall and Moira cries on the other side of the room.

"I know! I just…I need to know more about him, especially now!"

"Why? What's so important you'd put the well-being of my wife and I at risk?"

"Look!" I motion with my head to the table and he follows my line of sight.

"Oh…" Reginald sees the photos and maps and turns to look at Selena, who drags Moira over to the table with her.

"He's been watching me," I sneer.

"For quite some time it would appear," Selena reaches out with one hand to touch the evidence laid out for her on the table.

"Why would he be following me? Why does he want me dead?"

"Well isn't it obvious?" Selena snorts and rolls her eyes, "This is professional stuff, he's been watching you for years! There must be quite a bounty on your head."

"He's a hand?" I blink and my mind races, "Who would want me dead?"

"Nowadays, honey, I'd say just about everyone."