Chapter 7

7

Rushing out of the house, I brush the dust off of my clothes and carefully hang my bag on my shoulder. After James unwisely decided to tell me what to do, I made a little trip to the garage for a few supplies that might come in handy if he bothers me too much.

I weave through the garden of flowers and fancy fountains and all that 'posh' crap that you would stereotypically expect to find in a British millionaire's front yard. You know, shaped bushes and trees, marble statues, ponds, a money tree.... You know, that kind of thing.

Finally reaching the end of the path, I slide onto the smooth leather back seat of the brand new, expensive car waiting outside of the house. Of course, there is a complementary bottle of French champagne sitting on the little table with 2 champagne flutes.

Reaching beside me, I discreetly adjust my bag so as not to disturb the contents of it. I look beside me and I can see James finishing up a phone call and turns off his phone and rotates slightly to face me with a big grin on his face.

"So, James," I say sweetly with a smile. "Would you care to tell me what just happened inside?"

His smile falters just the tiniest bit and then returns full force.

"Whatever do you mean, London?" He asks innocently. "I was simply informing you of what time you should be outside, before the car left without you."

Opening my mouth to come back with an amazingly sarcastic comment, I am cut off by a scream coming from outside. James and I both turn, startled, to look out the window, and see Ash running down the path with one arm in his jacket, hanging loosely off his shoulder, and the other sleeve flopping around the ground near his untied shoelaces as he rushes to stop us.

"WAIT FOR ME!!!"

Turning to each other in alarm and desperation James and I both scream at the driver.

"GO GO GO GO GO!!!"

The car roars to life and we are thrown against the backs of the seat as the wheels screech and desperately try to roll away from the advancing lunatic. We both watch out the back window as Ash falls off of the curb and trips over his laces, face planting and eating concrete.

Sitting back, James and I sigh in relief as we turn the corner and leave any possibility of dragging Ash along far behind and spread eagled in the middle of the road.

Turning to face him once more, I give James the evil eye.

"I know lots of people, James. I have spent lots of time with them, and not once have they ever told me what to do. And do you know why that is?"

Gulping, he nervously shakes his head.

"Because they know that if they do, I will do something so bad they will wish someone cut their tongue out when they were a baby just to avoid them saying that very comment that would cause me to do to that bad thing."