ρoιnт вreaĸ : two

I'm fumbling with the tie on my swimsuit top when my phone begins vibrating against the Oakwood dresser. It matches the bed set - the only two new pieces of furniture that Aunt Lana bought. Along with a bed set - a canary yellow color with fluffy white pillows.

I tried to jazz the room up: adding a picture of my family to the dresser and a poster of Robert Pattinson on the wall. They're painted a sky blue, and a painting of the beach hangs above my bed. Finally managing to tie the black string with assurance it won't come loose I manage to answer the phone on the seventh ring.

"Hello," I answer breathless.

"Taylor," my mom squeaks into the phone, exhaling loudly as though this huge wait has been lifted off her chest. "What took you so long? I was growing worried."

"I'm getting dressed," I chew some on my bottom lip, "one of Aunt Lana's neighbors has invited me to go to the beach."

"Oh Taylor, that's nice. Is she being nice, your aunt? What about the neighbor? Is it a boy?" My heart lifts some at my mom's quick talking, another similarity her and Lana share.

"Relax- Aunt Lana and the girl, they're both nice. Mike's nice too. I'm really -well, I'm having a good time so far."

"That's good," his mother said, "I really want you to have a good time. I don't want to keep you, I just - I just wanted to make sure you were alright. I really do miss you."

"I miss you too."

"Alright," she says, "I'll let you go. Call me tonight?"

"I promise. I love you mom."

"I love you too Taylor."

━━━━━━━━❀━━━━━━━━

Becca likes to talk, which I don't really mind because it makes it easier not to think so much and the more she talks the less I have to. Occasionally she'll stop to ask me a question: Do I like Kaui? What's California really like? Can I swim? It isn't until the latter that I open up a little more. I joined the swim team sophomore year, fell in love with it and have been swimming ever since then.

I know we're getting closer to the beach because that salty taste is there against my lips again.

"So who'll all be here?" I ask her as I place my hands into my front pockets of my denim shorts.

"Besides everyone glad school's over? Well there's my friend Ida, she's real chill, you'll like her. Then there's my cousin Keno and his friend Kai." There are a lot of people already inhabiting the beach - a majority of them in the water.

I follow Becca across the beach, a smile gracing my lips, surprisingly at the feeling of the warm sand that shifts into my sandals.

"There she is," a female, who I assume to be Ida, says. She waves her hand toward Becca. "Bah, what took you so long?" She asks as she flips her light brown hair over her shoulder. "You left me with these two dorks," she feigns being upset. Over her shoulder I catch two tall guys, tanned, and muscular, coming back from the water. They're holding surfboards underneath their arms, laughing. I admit, I become jealous at the sight of their easiness.

"I stopped by Lana's for some sunscreen," Becca says as she tips her head toward me, "this is her niece, Taylor. Taylor this is Ida." I take Ida's hand and shake it.

"You just moved out here?" she asks me.

"Nah, just spending the summer with my aunt."

"Sounds chill."

I shrug.

Cupping her hands around her mouth Becca calls out at the boys. "Hey losers hurry up" They look up and I can see one of them stick their tongue out. They come to a slow jog before finally reaching us.