ρoιnт вreaĸ : five

(A/N: made one change guys and that's the luau was a month away instead of a week. It worked better in my head and timing for this story. Hope you don't mind. Please enjoy c:)

"There no real difference between swimming surfing. You have to have complete control of your body and though the moves don't have to be exactly right, each movement matters. But then again, that's what makes them different I guess. We all have a different style of surfing. Your board is an extension of you and only you. How you surf is a unique experience. No one can tell you to surf."

"So why have I been listening to you for the past half hour?" I look to my side where Kai is staring out at the water, droplets falling down the side of his face from his damp hair. Contrary to the jerk I thought he was, he's really helped a lot and is actually a great teacher.

"Because I'm the expert," he says with a roll of his eyes and a nudge to my shoulder. I nudge back with a laugh as I cross my legs out in front of me. These last few weeks we'd been enjoying each other's company on more than an instructor and pupil level. I was not only getting better at surfing but becoming closer to Kai. Of course Becca liked to think of it as something more.

I didn't think of it that way. It was just being out here with Kai, near the water and talking about everything but Kayleigh, made me happy - happier than I'd been when leaving home. And even then, when Kai would look at me with his eye crinkling smile, or make a joke about how I looked when surfing, I was pretty sure I hadn't been this happy then either. That scares me and in the back of my mind, I feel guilty about it.

We're at the end of our session which means it's time for us to go our separate ways. "Well," I say as I stand up.

"Well," Kai repeats as he looks up at me.

We've still got sunlight to keep surfing, which I wouldn't mind, but sitting here seems perfectly fine with me too.

"So are you going to the luau tomorrow night?" He asks me. Aunt Lana and Mike wanted to go, but it's their anniversary and they'd rather spend it alone. That said, I have much more initiative to go.

"Yeah, I am actually. Becca and Ida are going to swing by and then we're heading out together . . . Will you be there?" I ask after a moment of chewing on my lip.

"Keno's actually performing, so yeah I'm going." I think about the girls he was talking to and I want to ask if he's going to with one of them. But I bite my tongue.

"Is he going to dance?" I duck my head and chuckel half heartedly, sort of mad at myself for holding back.

"Yeah, something like that." Kai says, a bit deflated and now I'm entertaining the thought that maybe he wanted to ask me. Before I can speak he stands up. "You want to call it an early day? I'm sure you're probably getting sick of spending all your time with me." He smirks, back to being playful. After standing, I pick up my board.

"I admit you're kind of annoying, but I'm not finished just yet." I start for the water, looking over my shoulder to throw Kai a grin. The truth is, whether I spoke up or he did, I didn't want our time together to end just yet.

━━━━━━━━❀━━━━━━━━

I peel off the light blue shirt I considered wearing to the luau. This is the fourth outfit that I've tried on and Ida and Becca will be arriving soon. I don't want to slip and tell them why what I wear is so important. When I talked to Mom earlier, I almost slipped about my surfing lessons.

It's because I'm nervous. I know I shouldn't be because it's not a date, but the thought of Kai being there makes my stomach twist with anticipation.